singular vs. plural

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

singular vs. plural

by Fractal » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:43 am
We who graduated from high school in the United States in the early 60s were caught in the middle of the crisis in education created by the Soviet Union's "Sputnik" success.

A) We who graduated from high school in the United States in the early 60s were

B) We who graduated from the high schools in the United States in the early 60s were

C) We who graduated from high school in the United States in the early 60s were then

D) Those of us who graduated from high school in the United States in the years of the early 60s were then

E) We high school graduates who were in the United States in the early 60s were

by Fractal » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:45 am
I went with B:

We who graduated from the high schools in the United States in the early 60s were

But unfortunately, it was the wrong choice ;-)

I thought that "high school" must be "high schools"

Why do we not need to use the plural form?

thx

Followed by:2 members

by Chaitanya_1986 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:34 pm
We who graduated from high school in the United States in the early 60s were caught in the middle of the crisis in education created by the Soviet Union's "Sputnik" success.

A) We who graduated from high school in the United States in the early 60s were

B) We who graduated from the high schools in the United States in the early 60s were

C) We who graduated from high school in the United States in the early 60s were then

D) Those of us who graduated from high school in the United States in the years of the early 60s were then

E) We high school graduates who were in the United States in the early 60s were

Here the usage of
we high school graduates is clear and concise than the usage of------ We who graduated from high school is -----

D is wrong because of the awkward structure beginning with "Those of us-----"

So, Option is E correct

On a Whole , I would say this Sc is more of a Style usage than the other types.....

OA pls????

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by abhijit_ghonge » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:10 pm
I think A is correct. High school is a general term so it clearly says that we who graduated from High School...
OA please.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:32 pm
IMO A

Followed by:1 members

by gmat25 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:46 am
@Fractal

I request u to edit the Op B in the given question. U made a typo error in Op B, i checked on internet and i find a COMMA is there b/w WE and WHO in Op B. A single comma makes a difference in meaning here as it change restrictive clause to a non-restrictive clause. In that case it is very easy to pick Op A as the correct answer

Orginal Op B given here:
Op B should be
B) We, who graduated from the high schools in the United States in the early 60s were

IMO A

by Fractal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:17 am
gmat25 wrote:@Fractal

I request u to edit the Op B in the given question. U made a typo error in Op B, i checked on internet and i find a COMMA is there b/w WE and WHO in Op B. A single comma makes a difference in meaning here as it change restrictive clause to a non-restrictive clause. In that case it is very easy to pick Op A as the correct answer

Orginal Op B given here:

Op B should be
B) We, who graduated from the high schools in the United States in the early 60s were

IMO A
I made no error, I just copied this question from Magoosh GMAT. There is no comma.

by Fractal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:19 am
Wouldn't A) be a better choice with "high schools" instead of "high school"?

Followed by:1 members

by gmat25 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:37 am
Fractal wrote:
gmat25 wrote:@Fractal

Orginal Op B given here:

Op B should be

IMO A
I made no error, I just copied this question from Magoosh GMAT. There is no comma.
Check out this link

https://www.beatthegmat.com/we-who-t12246.html