Singular or Plural

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Singular or Plural

by Jadeyue » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:11 pm
Unlike other arachnids, which have their nerve cells evenly distributed along their bodies, the scorpion's nerve cells are clustered in its head, like a mammal's.
(A) bodies, the scorpion's nerve cells are clustered in its head, like a mammal's
(B) bodies, the scorpion's head had a cluster of nerve cells, as a mammal does
(C) body, the scorpion has a cluster of nerve cells in its head, as a mammal does
(D) body, nerve cells are clustered in the scorpion's head, like a mammal's
(E) body, a cluster of nerve cells is in the scorpion's head, like a mammal's

I saw a question from a GMAT study book. Would any one please tell me which one is the correct answer?

Some one told me C is the correct one. If "there" is used in the sentence, should we use bodies instead of us body?

Thanks a lot.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by naveenchandra kv » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:19 am
Hi,

Use the Parellelism Rules to find the write answer..

Unlike Arachnids..... Indicates contrast. So the next sentence to be followed should be a Noun.
i.e Unlike X, Y construction.

Unlike Arachnids, xxxxxx , the Scorpion --- Here in this construction it clearly indicates the contrast between the Arachnids and the Scorpion. This type of construction can be seen in Answer C.

Also you can see that answers A and B has got scorpion's.. this is not correct because we have arachnids on one hand and scorpion's on the other. This is not parallel. Thus it should be just scorpion.

Also, you can use the process of elimination to arrive at the right answer.

One more error, -- Nerve cells evenly distrubuted along their body-- and not bodies.. Hence we can eliminate A and B.

Coming to D and E-- does not match the parellism.. i.e. Unlike X, Y construction...

So the right answer is "C".

Hope it helps.