Should I take GMAT now?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I take GMAT now?

by Olgaz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 am
I've been studying for GMAT for the last 3 months. I have GMAT scheduled in 2 weeks from now, but when I took official GMAT practice test this weekend I got 540. I have never taken the real GMAT before. The highest score I got on practice tests was 580. I would really want to apply to NYU or Columbia. My undergrad GPA is 3.95. But I understand that I shouldn't even bother applying to those schools with my GMAT scores, but I don't want to apply anywhere else. So, should I even take my GMAT in 2 weeks, get low score and retake it later or should I study more and try to get a better score later for the 1st time, in which case I won't be able to apply for fall 2011? Should I even bother to study more? I feel that I need to study more, but is there a limit to how many points I can improve my GMAT score from the average on practice tests? Thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tmino » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:55 pm
While the GMAT score is definitely not the only factor considered in an MBA application, a very low score can significantly decrease your chances of admission at top programs. London Business School, for example, does not accept any applicants with a score below 600 (even though they don't officially say this, but in the past years the lowest score was always 600).

If you take the GMAT now and score very low, you will have to re-take the GMAT anyways correct? I'd suggest studying more until you feel confident. Perhaps look into a prep course if you can't increase your practice test scores on your own.
MBAvolunteers - Application feedback in exchange for a donation to a non-profit
MBA Admission Requirements - All you need to know about getting into b-school

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:24 pm
Hi Olgaz,

In your business school application your GMAT score is self-reported, so a business school will only see your highest score. This is why we recommend candidates take the GMAT test twice, as they are normally more comfortable on their second try. If you have spent the last 3 months studying for the GMAT, it may be worth taking the test as you had scheduled. The only cost will be the price of the test.

I hope this was of help.

Best,

Conrad
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by bizschoolprep » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:31 pm
Olgaz,

Take the test when you feel most prepared as long as you have enough time to give to the rest of your application. Even if you take GMAT multiple times, almost all the schools consider only the highest GMAT score.
-BizSchoolPrep, MBA Admissions Consultant
www.bizschoolprep.com , Know what makes us different!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sawdle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 pm
well according to some of the posts I have seen here - you can get into HBS with a 580 - so maybe it's not so bad!