Should I start with Foundations of GMAT Math? HELP!!!!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello all,

I'm currently studying for the GMAT giving myself three to four months to study for this exam. I've never been particularly great at math and I'm terrified so far of what I'm getting myself into. I'm currently using the Beat the GMAT 60-day study guide but I've allotted myself more than sixty days because I also work full time and I'm finding the material kinda hard. I took a GMAT Prep test as suggested by the guide and received a dismal and disappointing 350 :/ I was very discouraged and upset by this score and went head in according to the guide with MGMAT sets stating with the quant sections. My question is, since I'm so uncomfortable in math should I work through the entire Foundations of GMAT math book first before really delving into the study guide? Or, should I continue with the study guide, and in each chapter I find difficulty in, THEN reference that particular subject in the Foundations Guide?

I'm just trying to decide if it makes sense to learn all the material in the foundations book first when I haven't even reached for example, the geometry section in the study guide? I just don't want to forget any of the material. Which strategy is more effective? I appreciate all the help I can get as I jot down my journey to beating this exam. :)

Also, my goal is 700+. Is that a feasible score considering where I'm starting from. I'm ready to really really work hard to accomplish my dream of going to a good business school.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:18 am
Hi aluniques,

You've given yourself a big chunk of time to study, which is a smart choice. To improve from 350 to 700 will be quite a challenge, so you're going to have to be committed to the task during those 3 to 4 months (and it might take even longer than that).

I'd like to know a bit more about your first practice CAT. Did you have a pacing problem? Did you have to guess on a bunch of questions just to finish (and if so, then how many did you guess on?)? Did you leave any questions unanswered (and if so, then how many?)?

You're probably going to need more resources than the ones that you are currently using. Most Test Takers can't score at the 700+ level with a book-heavy study approach. It also sounds like you're going to need consistent, professional guidance throughout this process, so investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or Classroom) would be a good choice.

As far as trying to learn all of the math content before you start working on GMAT questions, I don't think that is a practical approach. You'll likely be better served working back-and-forth in small "chunks." For example, you will have to learn a bunch of Geometry rules and formulas, but trying to learn them all now, when you're probably not going to be studying Geometry for at least a month, is not going to be beneficial. I suggest that you start with broad arithmetic and algebra, then learn the specialized formulas, rules and concepts in chunks later on (when you can commit a little time to learning a sub-category and practicing it).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:39 am
That's great that you've given yourself so much time to work through Beat The GMAT's 60-Day Study Guide. I agree with Rich; you need not complete the entire Foundations of GMAT Math book before delving into the Study Guide. Instead, I suggest that you follow the Study Guide, and use the Foundations of Math book to fill in any knowledge gaps you identify.

Finally, I think it's important to compartmentalize your learning and take the time to master each topic (e.g., percents, ratios, exponents, statistics, etc.). This is primary design of the Learning Guide, which devotes one topic per day. So, for each topic, you should:
1) Learn the underlying concepts (rules, attributes, notation, etc.)
2) Learn GMAT-specific strategies related to that topic
3) Practice dozens of questions all related to that one topic.
4) Don't stop working on that topic until you have mastered it
Then, and only then, move on to the next topic/day .

To help you focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

You should also spend a lot of time reviewing the responses from the Experts on this site. They model the steps one should take when tackling math problems.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by aluniques » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Hey you guys, thank you for your replies. It's really helpful on trying to grasp where should I start. In terms of my first CAT, I did ended up having to guess a bunch of questions (probably half) because I got intimidated by math and I didn't really know a whole lot. I'm prepared to put in more time as necessary because I really want to get a good score.

In terms of the classroom studies, I'm living in the Bahamas so there is virtually no type of classes or even knowledge quite frankly about the GMAT. To be honest, most people I've mentioned the GMAT to here in terms of getting some help or math tutoring have no idea what it is or what it's about until I explain it to them.

Other resources I have gotten are the OG books, MGMAT sets, Kaplan books and a subscription to Magoosh. I don't want to overload my brain with so many different types of information from different sources so I'd rather focus on quality rather than quantity.

My only option would be self-study or online courses but everything is so expensive. I'm willing to shell out the bucks to reach my goal but I don't want to go broke doing so. Are there any other self-study or online courses you guys can suggest? With my starting point, what timeframe would you suggest for me prepping for the exam.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:11 pm
Hi aluniques,

Since you mentioned that you were giving yourself 3-4 months to study, I just assumed that you intended to start now and take the GMAT sometime in late February or March. If that's not what you intend to do, then you should spell out your plan in more detail.

There are plenty of options when it comes to studying for the GMAT and most GMAT Companies offer some type of free resources (practice problems, Trial Accounts, etc.) so that you can test out a product before you buy it. Since you have the time, you should do a bit of research and investigate the various options a bit more (not every option is expensive). We have a free trial (at www.empowergmat.com), Brent has some free materials at his website and there are links to other free materials on this site too. Ultimately, you're looking for resources that match your personality, timeline and budget, so you have to define those variables and then make some choices.

Rich

by aluniques » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:26 pm
Hi Rich,

You assumed correctly. I have started my studies now with the 60 day study guide but I know it will probably take me longer to complete with my work schedule and focusing more on certain areas such as quant that I know I'm weak in. I am planning to take the GMAT in late February or March.

I will definitely check out the free trial to see if that matches more with my personality and timeline. Thanks to you guys' advice I definitely now have a feel on how to work throughout the MGMAT sets. To reach my target score, would I need to invest more time in prepping for the exam?

I'm just wishing that not all hope is lost for a person like me to start off with such a low score. It's always been my dream to go to business school and I'm willing to put in the work as necessary. That is my primary focus for the next few months.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:57 pm
Hi aluniques,

Studying for the GMAT can seem like a daunting task because there are so many aspects to learn (and master). However, since the GMAT is a standardized, predictable Test, you CAN learn to CRUSH it. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies, but it's tough to figure out exactly how long it will take any one person to properly study.

It's important to handle the overall process in small "chunks" - you're not expected to become an expert overnight - so focus on a small set of tasks each day that you study. Build up your familiarity with the content and tactics and be prepared to go back and review past work. Remember that taking the GMAT and applying to Business School is a BIG DEAL and anything THAT big shouldn't be easy.

When you get stuck, ask for help. This site is full of people who are ready to answer your questions and offer advice.

Rich

by aluniques » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:47 pm
Thank you guys for your insight and knowledge. I will keep pushing aggressively with my studies and will use all the resources you guys advised in order to reach my target goal.

I'll keep you all posted. I know I can do this. Stay tuned...