Shocked with my GMAT experience!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:44 pm
krazy800 wrote:
adi_800 wrote:Hmmm..
Quite a few experiments done by matchoman...
When i gave gmatprep, used to get first 7 questions right and 8th one was used to be really difficult...
But in actual gmat, the trickiness of the quant did not allow me to settle and get series of questions right!!

@reply2spg..
Giving GMAT in US..Hmmm...I wont mind as I still have a VISA..

:P

@niksworth...
What matchoman meant is even if u have sharp sword, u need to have quality opponent (tough questions to answer), so that even if u sometimes lose, u would not get a high penalty!!

adi_800:

Did u take GMAT test both in India and in USA? Do you know any one who has taken the test at both India and USA and acheived better results in USA?

I am not sure abt the variation in diffuclty of the exam... so was just curious.
I have not given GMAT in USA and have not heard any exp. of such kind.... I was thinking on these lines because of low score...But that's just an after thought...
Well...I know only one thing..
If its difficult..fine..You can not change that... You have to change your skill set by doing plethora of questions...
They say..Practice, Practice, Practice, and after doing so much of practice, still more practice....:)

You give this exam anywhere in the world... Whether it be India, US, China or UK...IF YOU ARE CAPABLE...If you have the skills, If you have the strategies...You can crack it anywhere in the world...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by krazy800 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:02 pm
adi_800 wrote:
krazy800 wrote:
adi_800 wrote:Hmmm..
Quite a few experiments done by matchoman...
When i gave gmatprep, used to get first 7 questions right and 8th one was used to be really difficult...
But in actual gmat, the trickiness of the quant did not allow me to settle and get series of questions right!!

@reply2spg..
Giving GMAT in US..Hmmm...I wont mind as I still have a VISA..

:P

@niksworth...
What matchoman meant is even if u have sharp sword, u need to have quality opponent (tough questions to answer), so that even if u sometimes lose, u would not get a high penalty!!

adi_800:

Did u take GMAT test both in India and in USA? Do you know any one who has taken the test at both India and USA and acheived better results in USA?

I am not sure abt the variation in diffuclty of the exam... so was just curious.
I have not given GMAT in USA and have not heard any exp. of such kind.... I was thinking on these lines because of low score...But that's just an after thought...
Well...I know only one thing..
If its difficult..fine..You can not change that... You have to change your skill set by doing plethora of questions...
They say..Practice, Practice, Practice, and after doing so much of practice, still more practice....:)

You give this exam anywhere in the world... Whether it be India, US, China or UK...IF YOU ARE CAPABLE...If you have the skills, If you have the strategies...You can crack it anywhere in the world...

dats the spirit of a gmatter!
Aiming High

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:39 am
Aditya bhai,

Mast yaar!! Well said!! I love ur spirit!! Me & Selango ( Anand) were discussing the same thing of US & India test centres.

What if US wants to reduce the Indian Techies to join their flagshipped schools?? So for that , they may make quants bit " tougher" which may make the score to come down and going by that ; it may also impact the test taking skill on verbal.

Anyways, only GMAC knows wat's their fundae.... and if u have heard all the golmal happens only in china ; like leaking of previous original questions..why so??? How come "the 30 GMAT sets" are open to markets??

Guys, I surmise US wants to have a check on Indian population in their Flagship schools...

This is just my "crazy" opinion..Plz plz pardon me if I am unaware of the dynamics of the game.!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:50 am
I disagree. It's a 'standardized' test. How will GMAC know if an Indian techie takes the test in the US? How will it control the number of Indian Techies joining US schools then? I agree that its harder for Indian males (since most of them have similar profile/background) to get in to Top US schools, so the ADCOM then looks at other factors that distinguishes them from the rest of the applicants.

The GMAT is the same for all regardless of where it's being taken at!

How did abhi84 and scorpionz get a 760 and 770, I believe they both took the test in India.

Anyways, I have been reading this discussion for a while now, and had to add my two cents.

Good Luck to all for your test!!
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:24 am
Got 5.5 in AWA...
But...........

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:08 am
Hey guys.. I am very late to join the discussion as my laptop crashed. It was a thoughtful discussion althrough.

Just 2 lines from me:

Adi - All the best for your next attempt. You definitely have it in you to make it. It was just a bad day.
Govi - Great job in analysing the pattern.

Cheers!!
"Once you start working on something,
don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it.
People who work sincerely are the happiest."
Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC-275BC)

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:51 am
Hey Praveen,

Thx man..... and hey CONGRATS for ur "150 being thanked!!"

# Adi..U have it in u man....U have to do it!!

by the way i got my Robot tickets booked..all set to see my IDOL( Rajinikanth) tommorow...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:03 am
Interesting discussion indeed.

First of all we do not have data to prove either way. We do believe that since GMAT is a standardized test, it should be administered in the same manner across the world. Hence you should not conclude that GMAT in India is more difficult than it is in United States.

Infact from what we know, GMAC is planning to expand its presence in India. Hence they probably will not do anything that will discourage people from taking the exam in India. :) See the links below:
https://www.gmac.com/gmac/NewsandEvents/ ... Briefs.htm
https://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... 5C/389256/

Since this has become such a popular discussion, we just contacted the folks at GMAC. GMAC's 'Marketing Communications Manager' will call us back to discuss this issue at hand. We will keep you posted.

Good luck for your preparation and keep your spirits high!!

Regards,

Payal

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by paes » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:06 am
adi_800 wrote:Got 5.5 in AWA...
But...........
something to cheers :)

It is like somebody snatched the food but gave the sweet dish.

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:23 am
gmatmachoman wrote:Hey Praveen,

Thx man..... and hey CONGRATS for ur "150 being thanked!!"

# Adi..U have it in u man....U have to do it!!

by the way i got my Robot tickets booked..all set to see my IDOL( Rajinikanth) tommorow...
enna rascala....
Rajini on BTG!!
LOL!!

I think this overrides watever he has done in the past....He can do anything!!

Legendary Member

by adi_800 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:28 am
e-GMAT wrote:Interesting discussion indeed.

First of all we do not have data to prove either way. We do believe that since GMAT is a standardized test, it should be administered in the same manner across the world. Hence you should not conclude that GMAT in India is more difficult than it is in United States.

Infact from what we know, GMAC is planning to expand its presence in India. Hence they probably will not do anything that will discourage people from taking the exam in India. :) See the links below:
https://www.gmac.com/gmac/NewsandEvents/ ... Briefs.htm
https://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... 5C/389256/

Since this has become such a popular discussion, we just contacted the folks at GMAC. GMAC's 'Marketing Communications Manager' will call us back to discuss this issue at hand. We will keep you posted.

Good luck for your preparation and keep your spirits high!!

Regards,

Payal
I never thought the thread will end with so much of discussions...
I just thought of putting my experience... If we are gonna get a word from authorities...great...
I just hope, we get to hear reality!!

Nyways...I was evaluating my options over the week....N working in dat IT industry is simply NOT an option...

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:37 pm
Yeah Aditya,

I too never thought this thread is gonna become a popular one..but indeed it is.

Kind regards to Payal/Rajat( e-gmat.com) . Infact they were the people who gave me the idea of doing R&D on the same...
They are really good in briefing out strategies...

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:59 am
I agree with you. Rajat and payal are best in briefing out strategies. Kudos to both of them :)

Anyways it is great that GMAC is ready to get us back. However, they are not obligated to do so. If they want they can easily say that if you think that exam is harder in India and you can not crack the same then don't take it. Simple. But they are not saying like that, really they are very kind.

Thanks to GMAC folks

(love the GMAT, GMAT will love you). :)
gmatmachoman wrote:Yeah Aditya,

I too never thought this thread is gonna become a popular one..but indeed it is.

Kind regards to Payal/Rajat( e-gmat.com) . Infact they were the people who gave me the idea of doing R&D on the same...
They are really good in briefing out strategies...
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:21 am
Why do you think GMAC would make it harder for Indian test takers?
Yep.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:30 am
It would be difficult to say that GMAC asks tougher questions in India than those in US until unless one has done a proper survey. It may or may not be true.

Those Indian origin students who did schooling in English environment get good GMAT score only after few months preparation. GMAT is just a matter of verbal.

Standard of maths in GMAT is same as that of 6th standard but same is not for verbal. So, this is one of the advantage of native English speaker.

Take an example of test CAT which IIM conducts, standard of maths in IIM CAT is much more tougher than that in GMAT but both were for the same purpose.