Sentence Correction

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Sentence Correction

by Thouraya » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:33 am
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding sentence correction rules, and would appreciate an expert's help:

1) when do we use due to? vs. when do we use because?
2)when do we use "using"? vs. when do we use "based on"?
3) How come it is correct to say: "..like the planets, the stars are in motion"?===>isn't the rule that "like" should only be used when people are involved? but when examples we use such as?

Thank you!

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:25 pm
Thouraya wrote: 1) when do we use due to? vs. when do we use because?
'due to' is similar to 'caused by'. To check if due to correct or not, replace due to with caused by and verify.

because is used to reason something. Eg., I love chocolates because they are sweet.
How come it is correct to say: "..like the planets, the stars are in motion"?===>isn't the rule that "like" should only be used when people are involved? but when examples we use such as?

Like is used not only when people are involved but also when any noun is involved.

such as used on GMAT to give examples. Eg., I like chocolates such as dairy milk, ferrero, etc.

Hope it helps.

For second question, I am looking forward for posts.

PS: I have pressed 'thank you' button by mistake for the post above. Please ignore.
Regards,

Pranay

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:18 members

by Ilana@EconomistGMAT » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:11 pm
1. "Due to" will be followed by a NOUN. "Because" will be followed by a CLAUSE (unless the phrase used is "because of" - in which case it will be followed by a noun too.

Example:

Due to his annoying habit (NOUN) of clicking his teeth when he speaks, Andrew was fired from his job at the call center.
Andrew was fired from his job at the call center, because he clicks his teeth when he speaks (CLAUSE).
Andrew was fired from his job because ofexcessive teeth-clicking (NOUN).

2. Can you provide an example of when "using" and "based on" were given as alternatives?

"Based on" would probably be used to introduce evidence. For example:
The researchers published a paper based on 10 years of medical research.
Or: The attorney filed a lawsuit based on the testimony of an eye-witness.

"Using" would probably be used to indicate a method or tool employed.
Example:
The surgeon extricated the bullet from the victim's chest using a special metal clasp.
Or:
The architect solved the engineering problem using the equations he had learned in school.

3. It is not true that "like" should only be used when people are involved. "Like" is used to compare nouns. In the sentence you cite, "the planets" and "the stars" are compared, and therefore the use of "like" as a comparison term is correct.
"Using" has a rather impreci