Sentence Correction STUDY Strategy

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Sentence Correction STUDY Strategy

by franciskyle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:33 pm
I am having a lot of trouble studying the sentence correction - it seems that I am running in circles. I have been teaching myself the mechanics but I feel like I am getting nowhere. Even with regular practice I do not get any more comfortable with the questions.

How does everyone structure their study of sentence correction? I am looking for a few good/new ideas to tackle what, for me, is the most difficult part of the GMAT.
k. Francis

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by karmayogi » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:25 am
Try Manhattan Sentence Correction - a Bible for SC.
Each soul is potentially divine. The goal is to manifest this divine within.
--By Swami Vivekananda

by franciskyle » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:54 am
Thanks for the input, I have heard good things about that book. Unfortunately, I cannot get my hands on a copy.

I am more interested in learning how people study for this section of the exam than anything. Does anyone have a unique study strategy they would like to share with the community?
k. Francis

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:22 pm
1. I completed Manhattan SC and Manhattan Review.

2. Revised a few notes: P.Sahil etc etc.

3. I make it a point every morning, while having breakfast I solve the Questions posted in BTG forum.

But the way I solve the questions is different.
I mark all the options

a
b
c
d
e

while I read each option, I put a cross to those options which I find incorrect and yes, if I find an option incorrect, there has to be proper logic behind it, I don't depend on my ears

this strategy helps me a lot

Karan

Followed by:9 members

study strategy

by gmatpill » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:12 pm
franciskyle,
yea it can be pretty frustrating...i think a lot of people feel by doing more questions you'll eventually "get it"...but the reality is if you're coming in with the wrong thought process you're gonna find yourself running in circles...while manhattan sc is a good source of questions u might run into the same problem...if u have the time..doesn't hurt to give that a shot, of course

do u have a friend who did well on the exam and who can sit down one on one with you to walk you through how he/she answers questions? or u can spend time to look around for a tutor and then pay them by the hour..

again..it's not the # of questions u go through...but how you approach them that makes all the difference..