Scoring Paper Tests

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Scoring Paper Tests

by shaden » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:27 pm
I know paper tests are not as reliable, but I have seen people list scores for paper tests on here. Is there a score chart that can be used for all paper tests, or are their specifc charts for each company?

Ex: I own the Arco book, which has a GMAT score chart (based on total # of questions correct between Quant and Verbal), but will that chart work for the McGraw Hill book (Which I cannot find a chart in).

Thanks all,
-Dave

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by wickely » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:10 pm
Ok, there are three things wrong with your GMAT prep:

1) You're using paper tests. Stop that. You need to practice with adaptive tests. Good ones. Which leads me to....

2) You're using Arco. No one uses Arco. There's a reason.

3) You're using McGraw Hill. See #2 for why that's bad.

Ok, smarminess aside, you need to get some much better prep materials if you're going to be ready for the real thing! Don't bother trying to score the paper tests. They're useful for untimed practice, but that's about it. There is no way to relate that score to a CAT because the experience is night-and-day different.

by shaden » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:52 pm
I have OG 11th, been through the entire thing, and I have Kaplan 800 which I am 90% done with. I know that adaptive tests are best, but I only have the GMAT Prep. I want to save those 2 for the very end of my prep.

Where can I get others?

by wickely » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:31 pm
I wouldn't worry about saving GMATPrep until the end of your prep. You can uninstall them and reinstall them and get mostly new questions, so it's worth spacing them out.

I would also do the Princeton Review tests. They are adaptive and were a lot like the real test for me.

by shaden » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:51 am
Are the Princeton Review test you mention on their website or on a CD included with the book?

by wickely » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:06 pm
Sorry for the late reply...I somehow didn't see this until now!

There is one free test on PR's Web site, but to get the complete set of tests you need to buy the Cracking book with the DVD.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:32 pm
I beg to differ: I think that the paper tests ARE good and an important part of your study. While the computer vibe is different, these questions are created by the folks to make the real GMAT, so on a getting familiar with the test-maker, this as well as all the official guides and online GMAC stuff: they are indispensible.

Get rid of Arco.
Get rid of McGraw Hill.

Figure out where your weakest links are, and then find quality material to support what you need to strengthen. Members in the forum, and the experts will tell you their opinion.

PR is generally easier.
Kaplan generally harder.
Folks say MGMAT and Veritas are good for math (and organized well) but still not as good as the real thing. There are other 3rd party material available.

If you can get a hold of PR's math sets, they are VERY good.

Our material is also kick-ass, and our next edition is being used with clients but not published yet (it will be soon)...and from what I can tell, its the closest to the real stuff that will be available.

Best,
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

by san123 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:04 am
Bara wrote:I beg to differ: I think that the paper tests ARE good and an important part of your study. While the computer vibe is different, these questions are created by the folks to make the real GMAT, so on a getting familiar with the test-maker, this as well as all the official guides and online GMAC stuff: they are indispensible.

Get rid of Arco.
Get rid of McGraw Hill.

Figure out where your weakest links are, and then find quality material to support what you need to strengthen. Members in the forum, and the experts will tell you their opinion.

PR is generally easier.
Kaplan generally harder.
Folks say MGMAT and Veritas are good for math (and organized well) but still not as good as the real thing. There are other 3rd party material available.

If you can get a hold of PR's math sets, they are VERY good.

Our material is also kick-ass, and our next edition is being used with clients but not published yet (it will be soon)...and from what I can tell, its the closest to the real stuff that will be available.

Best,

Hi,

I have been putting efforts for this test from the past 3 months. The materials I solved are..

1.OG 11 (accuracy ~80%)
2.OG 10 (accuracy ~ 75%)
3.verbal review, (Acc~75%)
4.quant review (acc~75)
5.Manhatten SC,CR
6.Demystified series from Mc grawhill for geometry,word problems,algebra.(Refresher)
7.Disclosed GMAT papers (9 in #)
8.1000 SC
9.Barrons GMAT tests
10.Arco GMAT tests
11. Mc grawhill GMAT 2008 tests.
12.Kaplan SC,CR,RC tests
13.Longman pocket phrasal verbs
14. some misc.....

I request you people to comment on this and help me prepare for the D-day. Its on 25/11/2008.

please suggest.Thanks in adv

Regards
San