My scores over the last 3 months have been as follows:

GMAT Prep 1 - 690
GMAT Prep 2 - 660
MGMAT 1 - 750
MGMAT 2 - 680
GMAT Prep 2 - 720
GMAT Prep 1 - 710
MGMAT 3 - 580

The last score is really strange. I wasnt able to complete the quant in the MGMAT. The questions were really tough, much tougher that the OG11 (last 50) and anything else I had seen.

Is the MGMAT quant really very tough. I dont know why but I have a tough time on those as compared to the GMAT Prep or the OG. The last few days I have been timing myself for practice questions and I find in quant Im generally able to finish any set of the last 50-100 questions at an avg speed of 1.5 mins pre question and accuracy of about 95%.

Its very discouraging to get such a low score. Ive scheduled my GMAT for June 11th.

Can someone help me understand why the MGMAT quant is so high and whether it is an accurate indication of the GMAT quant level. If so, then I think the OG and Kaplan are pretty much useless since I can solve those very easily.
Thanks in advance

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by momentary_lapse » Mon May 07, 2007 12:39 am
Anyone got an opinion. I see 14 views and no responses?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by chrsells » Mon May 07, 2007 1:06 am
MGMAT ramps up the difficulty of the quantitative section so that, when you sit for the real test, the actual questions might seem relatively simple.

I found that it made sense to set a time handicap when working with MGMAT CATs. Instead of setting the quantitative section for 75 minutes, I often set the clock for 80-82 minutes. I believe that this was an effective way of leveling the playing field (of test prep software).

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss OG. While they might not provide for the most challenging material available, you can't forget that the questions in OG are coming straight from the horse's mouth. The OG - and for that matter, GMATPrep - will provide the best indicator of what you'll actually encounter on test day.

Your recent score might seem disappointing prima facie, but don't worry: MGMAT tests, while useful, are still far from the real deal in a lot of ways.

by momentary_lapse » Mon May 07, 2007 6:51 am
Thanks chrsells

Anyone else have the same problem? Do you increase the time of the quant too?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon May 07, 2007 3:06 pm
I would pay more attention to your GMATPrep performance, since they are the most telling of your real GMAT performance. From what I've seen in your practice test score history, it looks like you are in contention for doing really well on the actual test.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by momentary_lapse » Tue May 08, 2007 12:36 am
Thanks Eric. However Im afraid the GMAT Prep will probably feel old and the questions too familiar now.

Is there any benefit gained by un-installing and re-installing the software after a fresh download from the GMAT site?