Scored 690 (M-51,V-31)

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Scored 690 (M-51,V-31)

by sharmashau » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:33 am
Hi Folks

I took the GMAT this Wednesday and scored 690,a bit disappointed as I think I could have easily achieved 710 -720 , Nevertheless I am thankful for what I have got.

My Profile:

Mining Engineer from a leading university in India,Graduated 2008.I am working in India for a Finish manufacturing company,I was the first person employed by this company in India and starting from a scratch we have now a team of 20 people and have projects spreading across India.I am in a sales and business development type of job so I am travelling most of the all across the country.

GMAT Journey:

Became aware of the GMAT exam in June 2009, prepared for 2 months with a coaching institute I think that was a waste of time and money . Got transfered to a different city so preparation and focus was distributed.Started Studying seriously since Jan 2010.Since I am from a engineering back ground my main study focus was verbal particularly SC

Study Material:

OG 11
OG 12
OG 10
Verbal OG
1000 SC
1000 CR
Manhattan SC

FOR SC

I had a pathetic grammar sense,so I consider my state right now as a huge improvement,

I gave the GMAT IN July 2010 AND SCORED 600,I realized my main weakness was SC ,I redid 1000 SC and OG'S ,Manhattan SC.I did thousand of SC questions ,consulted forums, redid my mistakes,still I am not always 100 % on my answers so I think there is a big room for improvement.

FOR CR

The most strong section on my verbal ,To start with I did OG problem ,The 1000 CR LSAT test and I think these material are comprehensive.

FOR RC

During end of my preparation I realized that this was my most weak section,I stressed on my RC in the last 10 -15 days of my preparation.Did mostly OG material and some time LSAT 1000 RC,

My job involve lot of travelling so I could't put in as much time as ideally I would have liked.I think I can further improve my RC and SC skills.and considerably improve my score.!!!!

I tried to study 25-50 questions on weeks days and around 5-6 hour on week ends but things were not always as comfortable,sometime I had to travel whole week leaving no time to study in the evenin.

Overall I realize that verbal is more a test for careful and quick reading and I tried to develop that by reading editorial articles etc.I guess there is still a room for improvement.

AWA

More than sufficient

https://www.beatthegmat.com/argument-ess ... 38032.html

Quant

Beat the GMAT flash cards,Manhattan Test maths is way hard than actual maths ,so manhattan tests were also an good practice ground,

During last phase of my preparation I did the attached file for hard problems,it was very helpful

Practice Tests

Did GMAT Prep number of times:Last three test score 700,710,710

Manhattan GMAT: Last three test score 700,640,680

GMAT prep is the best practice tests available and my advise will be to keep on reviewing the test as new question will keep on appearing.

Advice required from experts:

I am targeting top 10-15 colleges for 2011,With a sales and business development profile and working experience till now of 2 years,
Is my score 690 is good enough to secure a seat in harvard ,stanford ,lsb etc.My working experience of a startup company has been good but do you thing I should wait one more year before I apply OR retake the test.

This forum has been a great source of inspiration and knowledge,I hope my post can be of some help

Thank you so much ,

Shashwat

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:10 pm
First, there is no statistically significant difference between 690, 700 and 710. So, you should anticipate 720 or higher if you plan to retake the test.

If you do plan to retake, you need to identify the mistakes you are making so that you have a target for your corrections. Simply doing another 1,000 questions is not going to change things,. You need to analyze where and why you are goinjg wrong and then correct those concepts.

You scores and background certainly qualify you for applying to the top schools, but there are never any guaranteess, especially for people in a large applicant pool such as that including technically-trained individuals from South Asia. I always ask my clients to qualify their intent. If you are determined to go to business school because you need the skills and maturity that an MBA provides, then you must include schools outside the most competitive tier. If, on the other hand, you are only willing to invest the time and money for a select list of schools, then realize that you may not get into any on that list.

Your sales-based work experience will be a help, since it will distinguish you from the large number of technical people who have been working in relatively isolated situations. Your start-up nbackground can help if you position it correctly.

No one can tell you to take or not take the test again. You have to use your judgment based on your practice experience. With only two years' experience under your belt you will have less standing versus people with 5-6 years. Also, while start-up companies can offer interesting insights, admossions committees may also questions the rigor of your experience.

In sum, there are probabaly more reasons to work another year than there are to retake the test, unless you have identified a specific weakness to correct.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

by sharmashau » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:08 pm
Thanks Tani for the reply,

My main aim of doing an MBA is to get the exposure and skills that an MBA programe provides,

I want to select a Top college because I had always a desire to study in them,

I have now realized all depend on how I put my profile forward and a 690 score is Ok,

I want to apply in this calendar year and I believe my overall profile can lead me to a great school,

Can you offer me your consulting service or can advise me some good consultant in delhi ,India??

Thank you for the help

Shashwat

Followed by:1 members

by ygm7 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:32 am
ISB is one of the best option
Last edited by ygm7 on Thu May 01, 2014 7:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:51 am
Hi Rahul,

I work exclusively through Kaplan, but if you go to their website https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Business-Sc ... vices.html you can ask for me. I have worked with people from 5 continents and over 15 countries including many, many applicants from India. I use Skype exxtensively. All of my consulting assignments are remote and are handled via email, phone and Skype.

I would love to help you.
Tani Wolff

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by MBACrystalBall » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35 am
Pranaam Shashwat-ji,

If you have the patience to wait for a year or two to strengthen your professional profile, I think you should. If you are aiming for the top schools, don't rush into it.

If you think talking to an admissions consultant helps, locational proximity isn't the critical parameter sir. Focus more on the credibility of the consulting team, their track record, testimonials and most importantly, if you are getting high quality internationally competitive services at an affordable price.

Btw, my GMAT score wasn't spectacular considering my IT/Indian/Male background. But with the right approach and school selection strategy, I got into a great program and used it to fast track my career.

Good luck, buddy.
Watch these MBA videos

Sameer Kamat, Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Careerizma
Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Must read for MBA aspirants
1. Beyond The MBA Hype | 2. Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild