School Vouchers - Clink County

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

School Vouchers - Clink County

by mbadreamz » Wed May 05, 2010 2:22 pm
School vouchers, govt funds granted to families to pay for their children's education, promote integration in Clink County's schools. Since parents can select the schools to which they send their sons and daughters - and use the voucher money to pay tution costs - familes can break free of the racial and ethnic limitations of their own communities when making educational decisions.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt upon the above conclusion?

a) Lower income families are more likely to benefit from school voucher programs than are their middle of upper-income counterparts.

b) Parents would not be willing to transport their children to schools more than 5 or 10 miles from home.

c) a signifcant number of public school teachers are opposed to school vouchers.

d) many schools in the county have been know to discriminate against admitting students on the basis of race and ethnicity.

e) voucher programs have not been successful in several counties adjacent to Clink County.

Please keep answers with explanations coming and I would update OA shortly.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ansumania » Wed May 05, 2010 5:00 pm
IMO B.

as the parents will not send their children far away anyway, the gift card is not going to breakfree of racial limitations anyway.........

by paddle_sweep » Thu May 06, 2010 1:18 am
What is the source of this question?

by ansh.kumar » Thu May 06, 2010 1:22 am
i think its "d". The stimulus says that "families can break free of the racial and ethnic limitations of their own communities when making educational decisions" but after got admitted wat if the students will get discriminated on the basis of race and ethnicity.
i think the problem in "b" is that the premise says the parent can SELECT the school on their own discretion to which they can send their children. AFTER SELECTING THE SCHOOL "WOUDNT THEY WILLING TO SEND THEM"

by ansumania » Thu May 06, 2010 4:49 am
OA pl.

by ansumania » Thu May 06, 2010 4:58 am
ansh.kumar wrote:i think its "d". The stimulus says that "families can break free of the racial and ethnic limitations of their own communities when making educational decisions" but after got admitted wat if the students will get discriminated on the basis of race and ethnicity.
i think the problem in "b" is that the premise says the parent can SELECT the school on their own discretion to which they can send their children. AFTER SELECTING THE SCHOOL "WOUDNT THEY WILLING TO SEND THEM"
many school doesn't include all the schools.....there would still be a lot of schools who would admit students barring ethinicity...

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu May 06, 2010 6:07 am
ansumania wrote:
ansh.kumar wrote:i think its "d". The stimulus says that "families can break free of the racial and ethnic limitations of their own communities when making educational decisions" but after got admitted wat if the students will get discriminated on the basis of race and ethnicity.
many school doesn't include all the schools.....there would still be a lot of schools who would admit students barring ethinicity...
As ansh.kumar rightly said, D introduces a "alternate cause" that "tend" to weaken the stated cause.

D says what if the school does the part of "discrimination"??? So the whole argument falls apart!! Isnt it??

by ansumania » Thu May 06, 2010 6:22 am
mbadreamz wrote:School vouchers, govt funds granted to families to pay for their children's education, promote integration in Clink County's schools. Since parents can select the schools to which they send their sons and daughters - and use the voucher money to pay tution costs - familes can break free of the racial and ethnic limitations of their own communities when making educational decisions.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt upon the above conclusion?

a) Lower income families are more likely to benefit from school voucher programs than are their middle of upper-income counterparts.

b) Parents would not be willing to transport their children to schools more than 5 or 10 miles from home.

c) a signifcant number of public school teachers are opposed to school vouchers.

d) many schools in the county have been know to discriminate against admitting students on the basis of race and ethnicity.

OA pl......I am still confused...
e) voucher programs have not been successful in several counties adjacent to Clink County.

Please keep answers with explanations coming and I would update OA shortly.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MRehman » Thu May 06, 2010 7:49 am
I think its E... OA Plz

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu May 06, 2010 10:50 am
Received a PM asking me to respond. Unfortunately, for copyright reasons, I can't respond until the source (author) of the question is cited. Once you cite the source, I'll be happy to respond!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by ansumania » Thu May 06, 2010 2:03 pm
@mbadreamz

will you pl. mention the source?

by mbadreamz » Fri May 07, 2010 6:32 am
I am really sorry guys. I was off the hook for a while. I am afraid I don't have the OA with me right now. Please don't kick me. The source of this question is "1,012 GMAT Practice Questions" - Critical Reasoning/Weaken Argument. I will update you the OA, the first thing I reach home.

Btw, my choice was "D". Agree with gmatmochan and ansh.

by ansumania » Fri May 07, 2010 6:50 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:Received a PM asking me to respond. Unfortunately, for copyright reasons, I can't respond until the source (author) of the question is cited. Once you cite the source, I'll be happy to respond!
stacey,

will you pl. provide your thoughts now?

regards,

Ansumania

by mbadreamz » Fri May 07, 2010 7:13 am
mbadreamz wrote:I am really sorry guys. I was off the hook for a while. I am afraid I don't have the OA with me right now. Please don't kick me. The source of this question is "1,012 GMAT Practice Questions" - Critical Reasoning/Weaken Argument. I will update you the OA, the first thing I reach home.

Btw, my choice was "D". Agree with gmatmochan and ansh.
I managed to sneak into the book, thanks to google books. OA is D

Still want to listen from Stacy with the explanation.

GMAT Score:700

by samarpan_bschool » Fri May 07, 2010 7:36 pm
very confusing one... need expert inputs... Thanks