Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

School visit tips

by krishnayv » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:29 am
Hi,

Could you please suggest what should a typical MBA applicant look for during

(1) an information session

(2) syndicated off-campus tour sessions (like MBA Tour)

I have done extensive research on my target B-schools and there is very little information about the school that I dont know.

Any suggestions about what the B-school expects from the information sessions and what the MBA applicant should expect?

When I was in school we had extensive coaching on what we should and should not do during on-campus career fairs. Unfortunately such a coaching is not available for MBA tours and information sessions.

Thanks in advance[/list]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

tips for visiting schools

by ConfidenceIsKey » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:45 am
I have yet to visit any campuses myself, but plan to shortly. Just to get this ball rolling, I would base my questions on the nature of the visit.

There seem to be 3 main types of visits offered by campuses in the U.S:

1. General information with tour led by by a staff member affiliated with the admissions office, but not necessarily an adcom member.

2. Class visit where you sit in at 1 or 2 actual classes to see what they're like.

3. One-on-one/small group session at the admissions office.

I think customizing your questions around the type of visit and with whom you'll be speaking, will greatly enhance your return.

Personally, I don't plan on doing much of the Type 1 visits as I feel much of that information can be gleaned from the website. I'm looking more for specific events in my city designed for more intimate & personal communication with alumni and admissions personnel.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:07 am
Dear krishnayv,

MBA Tour or World MBA Tour events are much like career fairs, so it is going around to speak with representatives at tables. You want to use this time wisely to make a good impression--believe me, they will not you came by and their impression of you. Depending on if the representative is an alumnus, current student or admissions professional, you will want to ask the appropriate question. Ask alumni and students about their likes/dislikes of the program, what courses are good, what they have done/will do post-MBA. Ask admissions folks about their projection for this year's applicant pool and what attributes are most important for candidates to their school.

Class visits and campus visits are another chance to ask these questions, but are really for you to get a clear idea of what it will be like to go to school there. You will still be observed, so you want to make a good impression. But don't be afraid to ask questions on student life and workload to get a realistic perspective from the current students.

Maximize your exposure to these schools--it can enhance your application.
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me