SC Question, Need Help Explaning Please

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

SC Question, Need Help Explaning Please

by kleef3f » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:02 pm
Frederick Winslow Taylor, a machinist and engineer who worked in the early twentieth century,
believed that the productivity of a job could be improved if one were to separate the components of
a task into its individual motions and found the best way to perform each motion, then redesign
the
job so that each motion could be done as efficiently as possible.

(A) if one were to separate the components of a task into its individual motions and found the best
way to perform each motion, then redesign
(B) if one separated the components of a task into individual motions, found the best way to perform
the motions, and then redesigning
(C) if the components of a task were separated into individual motions, finding the best way of
performing the motions, and then redesigned
(D) by separating the components of a task into individual motions, finding the best way to perform
each motion, and then redesigning
(E) by separating the components of a task into individual motions, finding the best way of
performing each motion, then redesign

Answer:D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by aspirant2010 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:32 pm
Ya D is correct because of parallelism.............

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by subgeeth » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:32 pm
can u explain your answer
Still working on my dreams best part is I have not achieved one yet !!!!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by aniruddhkashyap » Wed May 05, 2010 9:04 pm
Need help with an SC question

Q4: A new hair-growing drug is being sold for three times the price, per milligram, as the drug's maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

A. as
B. than
C. that
D. of what
E. at which

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by frank1 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:51 am
aniruddhkashyap wrote:Need help with an SC question

Q4: A new hair-growing drug is being sold for three times the price, per milligram, as the drug's maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

A. as
B. than
C. that
D. of what
E. at which
IMO B
comparision ...three times ...than...

GMAT Score:700

by samarpan_bschool » Thu May 06, 2010 4:28 am
aniruddhkashyap wrote:Need help with an SC question

A. as
B. than
C. that
D. of what
E. at which
I will go with A - (i didnt see any comparison marker here and hence i ruled out option D)

by ansumania » Thu May 06, 2010 10:16 am
IMO C.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1 members

by josh@knewton » Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 am
subgeeth wrote:can u explain your answer
As aspirant2010 noted, this question deals with parallelism. If two or more ideas function in a similar way in a sentence, they should be presented in parallel grammatical form. When you see a list of several items on the GMAT, check to see if the items in the list are in parallel form.

Choice D is parallel. "By separating... , finding... , and then redesigning" is a logical list.

Choice A is not parallel. Look at the verbs in the list: "to separate" is an infinitive; "found" is in the past tense; and "redesign" is in the present tense.

Choice B is not parallel. "Separated" and "found" are in the past tense, but "redesigning" is an incorrectly used present participle.

Not only is Choice C not parallel ("separated," "finding," and "redesigned") but "the components" is incorrectly the subject of all three verbs in the list. "The components of a task" did not "find" the best ways to perform each motion, nor would they "redesign" the job. From common sense, we know that a person must perform both of these actions.

Choice E is not parallel. "By separating... , finding... , then redesign" is not a logical list.

I hope that this is helpful,
Josh
Josh Anish
Senior Editor, Knewton
https://www.knewton.com