SC Painters

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

SC Painters

by dimple » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:35 am
In the Renaissance, painters were so impressed with Leonardo da Vinci that they ignored their own training and designate as a masterpiece anything he painted.

(A) were so impressed with Leonardo da Vinci that they ignored

(B) were impressed with Leonardo da Vinci to such an extent that they were to ignore

(C) were so impressed with Leonardo da Vinci as to ignore

(D) were so impressed with Leonardo da Vinci that they had to ignore

(E) were as impressed with Leonardo da Vinci as to ignore

Please xplain.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

A it is.

by venkat8103 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:00 am
A it is.

A) So...that is right idiom

B) Redundant

C) So as to..Wrong

D) Not in parallel : So Impressed tha they igonered is correct

5)Wrong

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by 800guy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:29 pm
agree with venkat's good analysis. has to be 'a'

'as to' is not idiomatic, for future reference

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by inforeqd51 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:10 am
In the option 'a' the tense for 'ignored' , does not match that of 'designate'

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:58 pm
Hi, guys

The correct idiom is "so X as to Y" - so, unfortunately, A is not the right answer. C is the only answer that does not present a grammatical error. I am curious as to the source of the question, though, because "In the Renaissance" is incorrect - it should say "During the Renaissance" but this is not even part of the underline.

Be really careful when studying questions that are not OG or from a highly reputable source - especially SC. Actually - don't be careful - just don't do it. Poorly written questions will just mess you up.

Anyway, A is wrong b/c idiom is incorrect.
B you would need to say "they were willing to ignore..."; also "to such an extent that" is wordier than "so X as to Y"
C is right
D incorrect idiom (so X that Y)
E incorrect idiom (as X as to Y)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Stacey: Usage of Idiom - so X that Y

by kiran.raze » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:06 am
Hi Stacey,

I guess this is an older post - did not want to make a new one so just adding on to this one - here you have mentioned that the idiom so X that Y is incorrect - while many resources including manhattan suggest the usage of so X that Y as correct.

Could you help me ?

cheers
Kiran

by eshahid » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:39 pm
the correct idiom as per the Manhattan SC is

So X as to be Y
and
So X that Y

am I missing something silly??
Shahid E

=========================================
"DESTINY is not a matter of chance, Its a matter of CHOICE"

GMAT Score:710

by kiran.raze » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:04 am
ya, exactly thats what I thought - please see the post above (in this thread only) by stacey above- that is what is causing a confusion !

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:18 am
So, they used to seem to prefer "so X as to Y" but "so X that" and "so that" are perfectly viable candidates. We're updating this in our next version of the SC strategy guide.

Strangely, in the current OG11, the explanation for one problem claims that "so X as to Y" is an INcorrect idiom... but then another problem later in the same book says the correct answer properly uses the "so X as to Y" idiom!

The only difference we could see in usage was that the incorrect problem used a clause for X while the correct problem used an adjective for X. So... beware "so X as to Y" where X is a clause.

Back to this problem. It's not an official problem. (You can tell because, among other things, "were" is the first word in all five answer choices. Official problems never do that - there's at least one change, however small, at the beginning and end of the underline.) So don't use it - if whoever wrote it can't even be bothered to follow the most basic rules for constructing an SC question, then it's not a good study problem.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by anju » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:29 am
my two cents on this question:
"so X that Y" and "so X as to be Y" are correct Idioms.

Between A and C I chose C because in A though the IDIOM is correct as per me the sentence should be "were so impressed with Leonardo da Vinci that they ignored their own training and designated" something on this line.... ignored and designated should be parallel... we cannot modify designated since that is not underlined so the best option is C - "were so impressed with Leonardo da Vinci as to ignore their own training and designate" - In C ignore and designate are parallel

Legendary Member

by stop@800 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:53 pm
anju wrote:my two cents on this question:
"so X that Y" and "so X as to be Y" are correct Idioms.

Between A and C I chose C because in A though the IDIOM is correct as per me the sentence should be "were so impressed with Leonardo da Vinci that they ignored their own training and designated" something on this line.... ignored and designated should be parallel... we cannot modify designated since that is not underlined so the best option is C - "were so impressed with Leonardo da Vinci as to ignore their own training and designate" - In C ignore and designate are parallel
Correct
ignore and designate needs to be paralle.

Followed by:1 members

by babuxavier » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:01 am
IMO A