SC: list elements

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

SC: list elements

by stop@800 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:58 pm
Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits earned by their employees and that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders.

A earned by their employees and that the information be published
B that their employees earned and that the information be published
C that was earned by their employees with the information being published
D earned by their employees, information that must also be published
E earned by their employees and published the information

I am not able to separate list elements, please help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: SC: list elements

by wonder » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:12 pm
stop@800 wrote:Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits earned by their employees and that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders.

A earned by their employees and that the information be published
B that their employees earned and that the information be published
C that was earned by their employees with the information being published
D earned by their employees, information that must also be published
E earned by their employees and published the information

I am not able to separate list elements, please help.
I'l go with D.

Our usage here is-: If we only have 'to require' it can be used in either active or passive. eg-
corporations are required to do something
OR
the govt requires the corporation to do something

But if we have "require that" can be used only in active:
--->The govt requires that the corporation do something
BUT
corporation is required that they do something - OBVIOUSLY INCORRECT, right?

Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits earned by their employees, (which is) information that must also be published in annual reports to shareholders.

This one is pretty similar to the question - 'wings, wings so smooth'...

hope it helps! :)

by amitabhprasad » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:40 pm
IMO "B"
I feel "earned by their employee" is passive construction.
Whats OA

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:05 pm
IMO B

A earned by their employees and that the information be published- > passive voice

B that their employees earned and that the information be published -> correct and right use of subjunctive be published

C that was earned by their employees with the information being published- > Passive and use of being is incorrect

D earned by their employees, information that must also be published->
Use of Must is unnecessary as sentence already use a " require "

E earned by their employees and published the information -> Wrong usage of published

Whts the OA..??

by wonder » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:14 pm
nervesofsteel wrote:IMO B

A earned by their employees and that the information be published- > passive voice

B that their employees earned and that the information be published -> correct and right use of subjunctive be published

C that was earned by their employees with the information being published- > Passive and use of being is incorrect

E earned by their employees and published the information -> Wrong usage of published

Whts the OA..??
B should be incorrect as I mentioned earlier. The complete sentence doesnt make sense...

Corporations will soon be required to (1) report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits that their employees earned and (2) that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders.

If we break it, it becomes "Corporations will soon be required to that the information be published"

Legendary Member

by stop@800 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:22 am
wonder wrote:
nervesofsteel wrote:IMO B

Whts the OA..??
B should be incorrect as I mentioned earlier. The complete sentence doesnt make sense...

Corporations will soon be required to (1) report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits that their employees earned and (2) that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders.
I can also split it as
Corporations will soon be required (1)to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits that their employees earned and (2) that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders.

If we break it, it becomes "Corporations will soon be required to that the information be published"
What about these

Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits that their employees earned.

Corporations will soon be required that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders.

by banker1 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:33 am
I also chose D. The other choices didn't make sense to me.

The OA is D, here is an explanation from TestMagic:

to require sb to do sth can be active or passive:[*]The school requires its students to stay on campus.[*]Students are required to stay on campus.

But to require that can be used only in active:[*]The school requires that its students stay on campus.[*]Students are required that they stay on campus.

D is fine:

Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits earned by their employees, (which is) information that must also be published annual reports to shareholders.[/i]

by wonder » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:39 am

What about these

Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits that their employees earned.

Corporations will soon be required that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders.
Hi stop@800,

If we re-read the second fragment here, its incorrect 'corporations will soon be required that.....?????

I am sure you would agree it should be "corporations will soon be required to.....

Legendary Member

by stop@800 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 pm
Yes, I agree.

Thanks to all for resolving my doubt.

Followed by:1 members

by Bidisha800 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:33 pm
"information that must also be published annual reports to shareholders." is a apposition of what they need to report.

(D)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by eshahid » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:51 pm
D should be the answer

Corporations will soon be required that.... is incorrect (already discussed) if at all we would want to fragment the sentence that way.
That should rule out A and B
C and E are awkward constructions.

This sentence doesn't deal with the parallelism. The information mentioned in the later part of the sentence actually refers to the info regarding pensions that the corporations are required to report. So D it should be.
Shahid E

=========================================
"DESTINY is not a matter of chance, Its a matter of CHOICE"

Followed by:1 members

by NSNguyen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:20 am
IMO: E,
paralellism: "earned ... published " this is in the same clause
Please share your idea and your reasoning :D
https://bmnmed.com/home/
https://nguyensinguyen.vietnam21.org

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts