Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Please share your thoughts on this also please correct me if I misunderstood anything.

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:43 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Needgmat wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Just a quick questions.

1) In option A is the usage of COMMA+WHO is wrong? If so, then please explain why?

2) In option B is the usage of APPOSITIVES is wrong? If so, then please explain why?

Please explain sir.

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin
These usages are not grammatically incorrect.
I would look for other reasons to eliminate A and B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Needgmat » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:54 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

These usages are not grammatically incorrect.
I would look for other reasons to eliminate A and B.
[/quote]

Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Thank you so much for your reply.

All clear.

Thanks,

Kavin

Followed by:3 members

by rsarashi » Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In C, the subject of the first clause (Thelonious Monk) lacks a verb. Eliminate C.
Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Can you please explain how Thelonious Monk is lacking a verb?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue May 30, 2017 11:04 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

rsarashi wrote:
In C, the subject of the first clause (Thelonious Monk) lacks a verb. Eliminate C.
Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Can you please explain how Thelonious Monk is lacking a verb?

Thanks
C: Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.
Here, the red portion is a non-essential modifier, while the blue portion is a separate clause.
If we remove these colored portions, we get:
Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, yet
The result is a subject -- Thelonius Monk -- without a verb.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:3 members

by rsarashi » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:47 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

C: Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.
Here, the red portion is a non-essential modifier, while the blue portion is a separate clause.
If we remove these colored portions, we get:
Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, yet
The result is a subject -- Thelonius Monk -- without a verb.

Thank you sir.

Understood.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:07 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the right option quickly! To start, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

(A) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
(B) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
(E) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

After a quick glance over our options, a couple things stand out that we can focus on:

1. How they begin: Thelonious Monk... / Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk...
2. both rooted / that was both rooted / rooted / that was rooted / rooted both

Let's start with #2 on our list because it deals with a pretty simple concept: to use the word "both" or not to use it! Whenever you see the word "both" in a sentence, make sure that it follows this format in some way:

both X and Y

It's also important to make sure X and Y are both parallel items, which is the key here to ruling out some confusing and just plain wrong answers. Let's focus on finding the X and Y in each sentence, and rule out any that aren't parallel. (I added the remainder of the sentence to help you see more clearly.)

(A) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory. --> NOT PARALLEL

(B) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory. --> NOT PARALLEL

(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory. --> OK (doesn't use the word "both" at all)

(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory. --> OK (doesn't use the word "both" at all)

(E) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory. --> NOT PARALLEL

We can eliminate options A, B, & E because they use the idiom "both X and Y," but the X and Y items aren't parallel. They all have X as "in the stride-piano tradition" and Y as "Duke Elllington," which are not parallel items at all!

Now that we have it narrowed down to only 2 options, let's take a closer look at #1 on our list: how to begin. To make problems easier to spot, I've included the rest of the sentence again:

(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

This option is INCORRECT because it's missing a verb! By starting the next phrase with "...,who produced...," we've turned it into a non-essential clause or modifier! This means we have a SUBJECT + MODIFIER + SUBORDINATE CLAUSE, which isn't enough to make it a complete sentence.

(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

This is CORRECT! It eliminated the use of "both," making it clear that the stride-piano tradition belongs to Willie Smith and Duke Ellington, which makes sense. It also puts the adjectives (jazz pianist and composer) next to the subject, Thelonious Monk, which also works. Oh, and it's a complete sentence with a clear subject (Thelonious Monk) and verb (produced).

There you have it - option D is the correct choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.