SC- Hurricane Hugo

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

SC- Hurricane Hugo

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:11 am
Hi All,

In the below question OG-11, Q13, the OA is[spoiler] "C"[/spoiler]. For kicking out "A"....OG says that

"Because tenth appears between the and most intense in the first phrase, the must be repeated in the second phrase: the most intense. While in some constructions, such as the most frightening and most intense, the would be understood and so would not need to be repeated, the definite article the is required in this superlative form construction.".

Can someone please help me understand what does OG mean to say here? Also can someone please tell why "since" is better then "after"

==============================================

As Hurricane Hugo approached the Atlantic coast, it increased dramatically in strength, becoming the tenth most intense hurricane to hit the United States mainland in the twentieth century and most intense since Camille in 1969.

(A) most intense since Camille in 1969
(B) most intense after Camille in 1969
(C) the most intense since Camille in 1969
(D) the most intense after 1969, which had Camille
(E) since 1969 and Camille, the most intense
Last edited by goelmohit2002 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:710

by rahulg83 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 am
In the sentence The cheetah is the fastest animal, the ending -est marks the superlative form of the adjective fast. The cheetah is being compared with all other animals and is being picked out for its ability to outrun all the others. Both ADJECTIVES and ADVERBS can be made superlative. Some words do not take the -est ending but require most as in the following example: She was once described as the most beautiful woman in the world.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/glossary/s.htm

superlative means, we are comparing more than two things at a time...
the fastest, we won't say Cheetah is fastest animal, will we?
Rather it's better to say Cheetah is the fastest animal among all.

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 am
rahulg83 wrote:In the sentence The cheetah is the fastest animal, the ending -est marks the superlative form of the adjective fast. The cheetah is being compared with all other animals and is being picked out for its ability to outrun all the others. Both ADJECTIVES and ADVERBS can be made superlative. Some words do not take the -est ending but require most as in the following example: She was once described as the most beautiful woman in the world.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/glossary/s.htm

superlative means, we are comparing more than two things at a time...
the fastest, we won't say Cheetah is fastest animal, will we?
Rather it's better to say Cheetah is the fastest animal among all.
Thanks Rahul. In simple terms, probably you mean to say that

When comparing > 2...use superlative form.
When comparing = 2 use compartive form.

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding you. But please note that all the options here use "most"...

Can you please help in decrypting what OG said to kick out "A"...as I posted in the original question.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660

by DeepakR » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:09 pm
Hi Mohit,

I think the reason for choosing the article "the" is because we are talking about a specific hurricane, Hugo. Whenever we talk about something in particular we must use the article "the"

eg.)

1. Gold is a precious metal ( do not use THE Gold here since we are talking about gold in general)

2. The Gold mined here is of poor quality ( here we NEED to use THE since we are talking about gold in a particular region)

Similarly we need THE while referring the hurricane Hugo since its the most intense among the 10 hurricanes to have hit the United States.

-Deepak

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:02 pm
DeepakR wrote:Hi Mohit,

I think the reason for choosing the article "the" is because we are talking about a specific hurricane, Hugo. Whenever we talk about something in particular we must use the article "the"

eg.)

1. Gold is a precious metal ( do not use THE Gold here since we are talking about gold in general)

2. The Gold mined here is of poor quality ( here we NEED to use THE since we are talking about gold in a particular region)

Similarly we need THE while referring the hurricane Hugo since its the most intense among the 10 hurricanes to have hit the United States.

-Deepak
Thanks Deepak.

Probably I am not clear in posting my question earlier....

the tenth most is fine...

But what I am confused is between A and C split....

A = most intense.
C = the most intense

Reason that OG gives is as below....but I am not able to understand the OG's reasoning...can someone please help me in decrypting the same ?

============================================
"Because tenth appears between the and most intense in the first phrase, the must be repeated in the second phrase: the most intense. While in some constructions, such as the most frightening and most intense, the would be understood and so would not need to be repeated, the definite article the is required in this superlative form construction.".