SC: How does original sentence A affect options from B to E?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi, I have a question regarding the relationship between original sentence and the other options in the SC problems.

Some SC text books tell that test taker must check original sentence (A) as given and regard original sentence as the main one, prior to other options. This means, if there are two possible options within (B) - (E) that are both grammatically correct, test taker should select the one that is closer to the meaning of original sentence (A).

However, I once heard from the GMAT teacher once recent GMAT SC questions does not provide such kind of question anymore. Teacher said, recent GMAT questions only tests whether test taker is capable of determining right answer from (A) to (E), and thus test taker do not have to regard (A) as prior to other options, but may regard (A) to (E) as equally possible options.

I am not aware of this matter, so it would be glad if someone could tell the truth regarding recent GMAT SC questions..
Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:58 pm
Hi astori17,

You're asking about a couple of ideas, so I'll do my best to address both points:

1) The GMAT tends to evenly distribute the "correct" answer among the 5 choices, so each answer is equally likely over the course of the entire Test. In terms of Sentence Corrections, if you saw 15 SCs, then it's likely that about 3 of the questions would have answer A as the correct answer. This will vary, of course, depending on how you're performing and the "randomizer" computer program, but it's a point worth noting. Since Answer A is a "duplicate" of the original sentence, there will be a few SCs that are grammatically correct, as is, and don't need to be changed.

2) The other point that you've brought up is sometimes referred to as the "intent" of the sentence (the idea that it's attempting to communicate). While understanding this idea can sometimes help you to choose the correct answer, it's usually NOT the first aspect of an SC that you should look at. The answer choices are usually grouped around certain grammar issues (verbs, pronouns, parallelism, etc.); by knowing these rules, you can quickly eliminate answer choices and "zero in" on the correct one.

As an aside, some Test Takers prefer to read the original sentence first and try to spot a grammar issue/problem. I've never been a fan of that approach though, since it doesn't immediately utilize the patterns/clues in the answer choices. I prefer to have any hints/patterns that are available in mind when I read the original sentence for the first time.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]