SC Grail Q48

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

SC Grail Q48

by powerpuff » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:16 am
Back to Sentence Correction practice after spending a few days on CR.
Here we go with one good question. The question is not difficult but it is a one of those time consuming questions where you have to really be quick enough.

48. Consumer advocates are worrying that the competing agendas of economic policy makers, who want uniform international standards, and federal regulators, who are trying to balance consumer protection and commercial rights, would neglect the interests of people most affected by the privacy policies

A. are worrying that the competing agendas of economic policy makers, who want uniform international standards, and federal regulators, who are trying to balance consumer protection and commercial rights, would neglect the interests of people

B. worry that the competing agendas of economic policy makers, wanting uniform international standards, and federal regulators, trying to balance consumer protection and commercial rights, neglects the interests of people

C. worried that the competing agendas of economic policy makers, who wanted uniform international standards, and federal regulators, who were trying to balance consumer protection and commercial rights, was neglecting the
interests of people

D. worry that the competing agendas of economic policy makers, that want uniform international standards, and federal regulators, that are trying to balance consumer protection and commercial rights, would neglect the interests of people

E. worry that the competing agendas of economic policy makers, who want uniform international standards, and federal regulators, who are trying to balance consumer protection and commercial rights, will neglect the interests of people

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:36 am
To shorten the time, find an element that varies in the answers and use that to narrow down the possibilities.

One that jumps out is the agreement between "agendas" and "neglect". We have a plural subject and need a plural verb. That knocks out B and C.

Next we have "worry", versus "are worrying". The present perfect seems unnecessary so I would stick with the simple present tense. That cut out A

Now you only have to decide between D and E. Here I prefer the use of "who" to refer to policy makers and regulators - both people - and I don't see a need for the subjunctive, so I would stick with the simple "will". My vote E
Tani Wolff

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by boazkhan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:07 am
one more for E

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by GHong14 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:58 pm
Definitely go with E myself.

I think the first split comes between worry vs. worrying or worried. There are no indication in the sentence that the concern is in the past tense therefore eliminate C. The sentence indicates that concern is present therefore the simple present form of "worry" is prefered over are worrying thus eliminate A.

The issue with B is modifiers. It is policy makers and federal regulators WHO want to make the policy.

Between D and E the issue comes between will v. would. Because the sentence is based conditional aka"if x persons do this y WILL happen." Choose E over D!