SC - Gerund & SV agreement

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

SC - Gerund & SV agreement

by karthikpandian19 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:02 am
A small enterprise must recognize that the changing of opinions of powerful business leaders have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales; it must adjust strategies accordingly.

A small enterprise must recognize that the changing of opinions of powerful business leaders have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales; it must adjust strategies accordingly.

A small enterprise must recognize that the changing opinions of powerful business leaders have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales, and it must adjust strategies accordingly.

It is necessary for a small enterprise to recognize that the changing of opinions of powerful business leaders have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales, and it must
adjust strategies accordingly.

A small enterprise must recognize that the changing opinions of powerful business leaders, which have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales, and the enterprise must adjust
strategies accordingly.

The changing opinions of powerful business leaders, because
they have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales for a small enterprise, must adjust strategies accordingly.
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kulhot » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:41 am
(B) for me.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mv12 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:14 am
+1 for B.

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 am
B for me too. Intended expression: Changing opinions (plural subject, hence we need have)
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:29 pm
OA is B

Explanation Below:
karthikpandian19 wrote:A small enterprise must recognize that the changing of opinions of powerful business leaders have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales; it must adjust strategies accordingly.

A small enterprise must recognize that the changing of opinions of powerful business leaders have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales; it must adjust strategies accordingly. - Subject verb agreement error

A small enterprise must recognize that the changing opinions of powerful business leaders have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales, and it must adjust strategies accordingly. - Proper sentence with verb agreement. Two independent clauses connected properly by ",and"

It is necessary for a small enterprise to recognize that the changing of opinions of powerful business leaders have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales, and it must
adjust strategies accordingly.- Subject verb agreement error

A small enterprise must recognize that the changing opinions of powerful business leaders, which have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales, and the enterprise must adjust strategies accordingly. - "Which" wrongly modifies

The changing opinions of powerful business leaders, because they have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales for a small enterprise, must adjust strategies accordingly. - Ambiguous pronoun
Regards,
Karthik

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by henryjejo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:54 pm
Hi Karthik,

Please advise why A is incorrect....It does not have SVA error.

Thanks
HenryJEJO

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm
Henry,
A do have SVA error. Here it is

A small enterprise must recognize that the changing of opinions of powerful business leaders have the potential to affect both short-term and long-term sales; it must adjust strategies accordingly. - Subject verb agreement error

This "it" may refer small enterprise or changing of opinions ----- Not sure

But when you refer in B, it comes with a proper comma and "and".....Hence in this type of B sentence, the second sentence's subject pronoun clearly refer the first sentence's subject.
henryjejo wrote:Hi Karthik,

Please advise why A is incorrect....It does not have SVA error.

Thanks
HenryJEJO
Regards,
Karthik

by henryjejo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 pm
That's a good one...Thanks Karthik.

Regards
HenryJEJO

by manihar.sidharth » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:31 am
Hey Karthik
Can you please tell me how to identify what "IT" is referring to in any sentence.
I seems to get confused every time.
Also how do we know that changing of opinions is singular or plural in this sentence.

Thanks in Advance

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:11 pm
Mani,

I would suggest you to go through the Manhattan strategy guides for SC which i have attached here.

Try to scan out all the pronouns in the underlined section first and then the non underlined if necessary. Now try to find out the correct antecedant for them all. Antecedant should be logically matching them.

In this case here, "it" is only one we got from scanning the question. So try to match it to its antecedant. "IT" is singular so it should match the singular noun. In this sentence we have 2 things that can refer back to IT - "A small enterprise" & "Changing of opinions"

Now we can come to the changing of opinions:

It is called a subject phrase with participle. Any subject phrases will be singular (this is a general rule applicable in all areas). Never mind as "opinions" is plural becoz the subject will never come in an OF phrase.

Changing of opinions - the bolded portion is the actual phrase which should not be considered for the singular or plural, whether or not it indicates those.
As a rule of thumb:
1. Subject never comes inside an OF phrase
2. Subject phrases are always singular

Hope u got cleared

manihar.sidharth wrote:Hey Karthik
Can you please tell me how to identify what "IT" is referring to in any sentence.
I seems to get confused every time.
Also how do we know that changing of opinions is singular or plural in this sentence.

Thanks in Advance
Attachments
08 - The Sentence Correction Guide 4th edition.pdf
Manhattan SC
(5.94 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
Regards,
Karthik