SC---DAILY EARTH (modifer question/ meaning)

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

SC---DAILY EARTH (modifer question/ meaning)

by crack30 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:21 pm
A team of scientists has recently provided evidence of Earth being bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere to fall to Earth as rain.

(A) of Earth being bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere to
(B) of Earth's being daily bombarded with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere and that
(C) that as much or more than 40,000 small comets daily bombard Earth, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere, and
(D) that daily Earth is bombarded with as much or more than 40,000 small comets that vaporize in the upper atmosphere and that

(E) that Earth is bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets that vaporize in the upper atmosphere and

I choose E, it is correct, but who can explain about D from logic. I compare D with E. The difference is the position of "daily". But I am not sure whether it affects the meaning of DE.
Need help
thanks in advance

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:30 pm
crack30 wrote:A team of scientists has recently provided evidence of Earth being bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere to fall to Earth as rain.

(A) of Earth being bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere to
(B) of Earth's being daily bombarded with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere and that
(C) that as much or more than 40,000 small comets daily bombard Earth, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere, and
(D) that daily Earth is bombarded with as much or more than 40,000 small comets that vaporize in the upper atmosphere and that

(E) that Earth is bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets that vaporize in the upper atmosphere and
D - daily is acting as adjective instead of adverb
He exercises daily - Here daily is an adverb.
Daily clothes, daily news - Here daily is an adjective.

One more mistake is as much (as) or more than - as is missing.
as much as - right form
as much than - wrong form. Moreover the comets are countable so 'many' should be used. 'much' is used for uncountable nouns

Hope this helps :)

P.S - Please underline SCs while posting. Sometimes people time SCs even in forums and not underlining makes it more difficult.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by crack30 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:24 pm
sam2304 wrote:
crack30 wrote:A team of scientists has recently provided evidence of Earth being bombarded daily with as many as 40,000 small comets, vaporizing in the upper atmosphere to fall to Earth as rain.

D - daily is acting as adjective instead of adverb
He exercises daily - Here daily is an adverb.
Daily clothes, daily news - Here daily is an adjective.

One more mistake is as much (as) or more than - as is missing.
as much as - right form
as much than - wrong form. Moreover the comets are countable so 'many' should be used. 'much' is used for uncountable nouns

Hope this helps :)

P.S - Please underline SCs while posting. Sometimes people time SCs even in forums and not underlining makes it more difficult.

thanks, sam great
so in your mind, D: daily Earth..., DAILY is adj--modify Earth, right? so it is not logic.right?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by rohit_gmat » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:00 pm
crack30 wrote:thanks, sam great
so in your mind, D: daily Earth..., DAILY is adj--modify Earth, right? so it is not logic.right?
yes thts right... having "daily" before Earth changes the meaning.. like the Earth is smth that takes place daily... which doesnt make sense...

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:43 pm
"daily earth" is wrong - it is illogical.

How can earth be modified with daily ? its some think like this..

daily jupiter,
daily sun, you can say "daily sun rise" ( because its an activity, grammatically its correct but we wont be using "daily" here because its a known daily phenomenon)

daily is a modifier that modifies the frequency of an activity/action, i.e. it is an adverb modifier.

daily exercise,
daily running..

I go to college,daily. - correct. But consider this..
I go to daily college.

I hope this helps.