SC-bacterial transformation

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

SC-bacterial transformation

by gmat009 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:02 am
Less detrimental than the effects of bacterial transformation is the effects of bacterial deterioration: spoilage of food, metals corroding, decay of wood, and other undesirable alterations of substances.
(A) is the effects of bacterial deterioration: spoilage of food, metals corroding
(B) are the effects of bacterial deterioration: spoilage of food, metals corroding
(C) is the effects of bacterial deterioration, which include spoilage of food, metals corroding
(D) are the effects of bacterial deterioration, which includes spoilage of food, corrosion of metals
(E) are the effects of bacterial deterioration: spoilage of food, corrosion of metals

Which one is better D or E

by sethids » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:45 am
E in my opinion.

Look at "which includes" in the option D. It should have been used with a singular noun. But here we are talking of "effects" which 'include'.

E correctly uses the colon to list out the different effects.

Followed by:1 members

by gmat009 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:37 am
sethids wrote:E in my opinion.

Look at "which includes" in the option D. It should have been used with a singular noun. But here we are talking of "effects" which 'include'.

Right , I think I should read sentences carefully

Legendary Member

by stop@800 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:05 pm
sethids wrote:E in my opinion.

I think we are not talking of effects here, instead we are talking of bacterial deterioration.

I think after : which includes is not needed at at all.
You can consider : similar to namely
It almost always helps.

by sethids » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:08 pm
We are comparing the "effects of bacterial transformation" with "the effects of bacterial deterioration".