SC-33

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

SC-33

by mankey » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:51 pm
Please help on this one:

A Swiss government panel recommended that the country sell about half its gold reserves and this raised fears of other countries that do the same and inundate the market.
A. reserves and this raised fears of other countries that
B. reserves, which, as a result, raised fears of other countries that
C. reserves; as a result, they feared that other countries would
D. reserves, with fears raised that other countries would
E. reserves, raising fears that other countries would

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by gmatblood » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:46 am
IMO:E

Legendary Member

by mankey » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:04 am
IMO too E. But I am not able to find a strong reason to eliminate D.

Some expert please help.

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 pm
Good question, mankey - I'd eliminate D on the basis that "with fears raised" leaves it pretty unclear as to whose fears are raised.

Is it "The Swiss government"? That's kind of illogical...why would they make this move with its own fears that it could cause a bigger problem. If that were the intent of the sentence you'd have to use a transition like "despite fears" to show that the government had fears, but still decided to make that decision.

Is it "the country"? If so, that makes it part of the recommendation ("you should sell half your gold with fear!") and that's not really logical either.

So I'd say it's a two-part reason: one, there really isn't a clear subject of "with fears raised" and two, there isn't a logical subject for it either. The modifier "raising fears" in E assigns "raising fears" to the action, and that makes a lot of sense. The Swiss made this decision, and the decision raised fears around the world that this could lead to a major problem.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Legendary Member

by mankey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:49 am
Thanks Brian. It was only meaningwise that I was able to eliminate D. But my question is more of fundamental, as in, if you could explain me what is really is being modified by "with"? What is "with" attaching itself to?

Regards
Mankey

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by vaibhavgupta » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:05 pm
mankey wrote:Please help on this one:

A Swiss government panel recommended that the country sell about half its gold reserves and this raised fears of other countries that do the same and inundate the market.
A. reserves and this raised fears of other countries that
B. reserves, which, as a result, raised fears of other countries that
C. reserves; as a result, they feared that other countries would
D. reserves, with fears raised that other countries would
E. reserves, raising fears that other countries would

Thanks.
IMO E
whts OA?
If OA is A, IMO B
If OA is B, IMO C
If OA is C, IMO D
If OA is D, IMO E
If OA is E, IMO A

FML!! :/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:33 pm
IMO C

Provide us please with the OA!

Legendary Member

by mankey » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:17 am
I dont have OA for this one. I took this question from one of the forums, where the OA was not provided.

If someone could help with the help, it will of great help to everyone.

Thanks.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by mjmotrno » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:47 am
OA is E. Source is GMATPrep Exam Pack 1.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by a_new_start » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:57 am
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:Good question, mankey - I'd eliminate D on the basis that "with fears raised" leaves it pretty unclear as to whose fears are raised.

Is it "The Swiss government"? That's kind of illogical...why would they make this move with its own fears that it could cause a bigger problem. If that were the intent of the sentence you'd have to use a transition like "despite fears" to show that the government had fears, but still decided to make that decision.

Is it "the country"? If so, that makes it part of the recommendation ("you should sell half your gold with fear!") and that's not really logical either.

So I'd say it's a two-part reason: one, there really isn't a clear subject of "with fears raised" and two, there isn't a logical subject for it either. The modifier "raising fears" in E assigns "raising fears" to the action, and that makes a lot of sense. The Swiss made this decision, and the decision raised fears around the world that this could lead to a major problem.
Brian@VeritasPrep

Great explanation as always.

Can you please help me in understanding what's wrong with option A apart from the usage of 'this', which has no clear antecedent.

Thanking in anticipation.

Regards