SC 1000 - ques 140

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

SC 1000 - ques 140

by shreeman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:24 pm
As the housing affordability gap widens, middle-income families are especially hard-hit, and these families can no longer qualify to buy homes, and rising rental rates force them to use far more than the standard 25 percent of their incomes for housing, leaving them with no equity or tax write-offs to offset the expenditures.

(A) and these families can no longer qualify to buy homes, and
(B) since these families can no longer afford to buy homes, furthermore
(C) for these families can no longer afford to buy homes, yet
(D) and these families can no longer afford to buy homes; however,
(E) and these families can no longer afford to buy homes, for

Please explain ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ashokkadam » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:51 pm
shreeman wrote:As the housing affordability gap widens, middle-income families are especially hard-hit, and these families can no longer qualify to buy homes, and rising rental rates force them to use far more than the standard 25 percent of their incomes for housing, leaving them with no equity or tax write-offs to offset the expenditures.

(A) and these families can no longer qualify to buy homes, and
(D) and these families can no longer afford to buy homes; however,
(E) and these families can no longer afford to buy homes, for

Please explain ?
This is a good question.

Answer is C.

'for' is a better usage in the context of the sentence, which acts similar to 'because'. Furthermore 'yet' is required to contrast. Hope that helps.
Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins.

by shreeman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:10 pm
This is a good question.

Answer is C.

'for' is a better usage in the context of the sentence, which acts similar to 'because'. Furthermore 'yet' is required to contrast. Hope that helps.[/quote]

i just searched the meaning of "for" in dictionary.com and found it can be used as conjunction

-conjunction
33. seeing that; since.
34. because.

when i was solving this ques option (c) sound very awkward to me but infact it is the correct ans.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:39 am
shreeman wrote:This is a good question.

Answer is C.

'for' is a better usage in the context of the sentence, which acts similar to 'because'. Furthermore 'yet' is required to contrast. Hope that helps.
i just searched the meaning of "for" in dictionary.com and found it can be used as conjunction

-conjunction
33. seeing that; since.
34. because.

when i was solving this ques option (c) sound very awkward to me but infact it is the correct ans.[/quote]
why do we need a contrast here.The families are hard hit and the rising rates are making them poorer.
Why is there a contrast?

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:47 am
Can anyone explain it in more details...

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:51 am
Why B can not be an answer ?

Furthermore explains the situation clearly ,stressing that another problem is added.

In my opinion , for and since are interchangeable in context of this question here .

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by soms_ar » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:25 pm
A, D & E - is wrong 'coz the reason why these families are hard hit should be provided. "and these familes" does not provide this reasoning.

B - wrong. i don't think since can be used in this sense

C - correct. idimatically correct and concise

hope i have the right explanation

GMAT Score:680

by hitmis » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:47 pm
Thanks. Good one. I didn't get it, until I understood its "housing affordability gap" vs. "rental rates"
owing a house vs renting a house.

Sometimes you dont get the context of the argument and you lose out !

by brijesh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:54 pm
shreeman wrote:As the housing affordability gap widens, middle-income families are especially hard-hit, and these families can no longer qualify to buy homes, and rising rental rates force them to use far more than the standard 25 percent of their incomes for housing, leaving them with no equity or tax write-offs to offset the expenditures.

can someone explain the use of yet in the sentence..?

Is it not ....furthermore or moreover are better to use here

As the housing affordability gap widens, middle-income families are especially hard-hit, for these families can no longer afford to buy homes, yet (; furthermore, )rising rental rates force them to use far more than the standard 25 percent of their incomes for housing, leaving them with no equity or tax write-offs to offset the expenditures.

by hitmis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:55 am
brijesh,

The sentence is trying to say that if a person wants to buy a house he/she is hard hit, yet if the person wants to rent a house, the rental rates leave dent in their income with no tax write offs.

If we were talking about a person who wants a buy and house and rent another house at the same time, then furthermore would help. Here the person we are considering only want to do one of the two, hence the 'yet'.

Thanks for asking this, it made me think.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:41 pm
hitmis wrote:brijesh,

The sentence is trying to say that if a person wants to buy a house he/she is hard hit, yet if the person wants to rent a house, the rental rates leave dent in their income with no tax write offs.

If we were talking about a person who wants a buy and house and rent another house at the same time, then furthermore would help. Here the person we are considering only want to do one of the two, hence the 'yet'.

no hitmis , i disagree with you.The sentence does not state yet if the person wants to rent a house.This changes the meaning,

by hitmis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:59 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:
hitmis wrote:brijesh,

no hitmis , i disagree with you.The sentence does not state yet if the person wants to rent a house.This changes the meaning,
mundasingh123
Please dont analyse these sentences grammatically. I was just trying to explain the context of the sentence.
in any case, that is my opinion, others are free to explain further.

shreeman, OA please ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:02 pm
OA here is C. While this is not the greatest of questions, the answer is unambiguous.

Check out the following link for clarity on the subject. Stacey's explanation might help.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/q-140-1000-sc-t17584.html
scio me nihil scire