SC - 1000 - #605

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

SC - 1000 - #605

by f2001290 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:00 pm
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.
(A) its many problems had been the recent
(B) its many problems has been the recently
(C) its many problems is the recently
(D) their many problems is the recent
(E) their many problems had been the recent

OA after few explanations

SC - 1000 - #606

by f2001290 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:04 pm
Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.
(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

Re: SC - 1000 - #605

by Prasanna » Thu May 31, 2007 2:32 pm
f2001290 wrote:Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

IMO 'recently extended sales slump' is better than 'recent extended sales slump' hence I would rule out A,D and E. Between B and C, would go for B since it uses present continuous tense.

Community Manager

by jayhawk2001 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:34 pm
f2001290 wrote:Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

"seven store retailer" requires its not their. So, D and E are out

A uses past tense "had been" while the sentence is in the present tense.
So, discard.

The first phrase denotes an action that started in the past and continues
into the present...so "has been" is preferred over "is"

Vote for B

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by maolivie » Thu May 31, 2007 5:39 pm
I'd say C. Wouldn't it have to be "problems have been" rather than "problems has been"?

Problems is plural. They have, He has

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Mvrkguy5 » Thu May 31, 2007 5:51 pm
I vote for B, as f2001290 mentioned,

a) since recent should act as adverb, so it should be recently
c) verb is not appropriate,
d) wrong pronoun "their"
e) wrong pronoun "their"

Community Manager

by jayhawk2001 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:54 pm
Got this question today on my Powerprep. OA is A

The OE said "recently" emphasizes on "extended" while it was the slump
that caused problems for the retailer. So, "recent" is preferred over
recently.

Hmm, doesn't "had been" in A mean the problem is over now?

Re: SC - 1000 - #606

by discreet » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:15 pm
f2001290 wrote:Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.
(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

My vote is for D.Plural form "Have" is required
E appears to change the meaning by using "one" produces.
B uses awkward construction and "it" is ambigous.
What's the OA?

Community Manager

by jayhawk2001 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:43 pm
f2001290 wrote:Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

Is it A?

"Research ... has revealed" is required. So, B, D and E are out.

In C, "nature of language and processes by which it" -- it lacks a clear
referrent.

by discreet » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:14 am
It seems so, I misinterpretted the "subject" :oops:

by veekay » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:35 pm
jayhawk2001 wrote:

Is it A?

"Research ... has revealed" is required. So, B, D and E are out.

In C, "nature of language and processes by which it" -- it lacks a clear
referrent.
Same is the problem with A; 'it' has no clear refferent. C it is

'it' has no reference
research is a singular subject, therefore 'have' is wrong
'...not....but...' is the right idiom, best answer

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:44 am
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

Could any of the experts throw some light on the above question. According to me the answer shoud be B.. But it turns out to be A. Could you explain the reason for this...
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:55 am
[email protected] wrote:

Could any of the experts throw some light on the above question. According to me the answer shoud be B.. But it turns out to be A. Could you explain the reason for this...
Well, I am not an expert.

B is wrong due to "recently", which is an adverb.
Here "extended sales" - extended is a participle i.e adj, modifying the "sales"
In order to modify a noun phrase/noun you need an adjective - "recent" is an adjective. So "recent" is modifying the noun phrase - "extended sales slump" and "in women's apparel" is an adverb of place.

Consider this sentence to see how can "extend" acts as a verb and the use of adverb "recently"

He recently extended his hand for help. - here extended is a verb and so we can use the adverb "recently"

Hope this helps !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:40 am
avik.ch wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Well, I am not an expert.

B is wrong due to "recently", which is an adverb.
Here "extended sales" - extended is a participle i.e adj, modifying the "sales"
In order to modify a noun phrase/noun you need an adjective - "recent" is an adjective. So "recent" is modifying the noun phrase - "extended sales slump" and "in women's apparel" is an adverb of place.

Consider this sentence to see how can "extend" acts as a verb and the use of adverb "recently"

He recently extended his hand for help. - here extended is a verb and so we can use the adverb "recently"

Hope this helps !!
Avik,
I understand your explanation but i did not get why we need an ADJECTIVE, not ADVERB, here, can you please explain. Also, How would the meaning change if "recently" is used in option A

Dan (mgmat instructor) explained that recently would imply that retailer intentionally extended the sales slump but i did not understand it, does it make sense to you https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/og- ... -t485.html
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

by mv12 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:20 am
A should be the pick .

Its is correct because of singular subject and recent ( adjective) is required in place of recently (adverb )