San Franciscans of the 1890's

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

San Franciscans of the 1890's

by augusto » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:45 pm
San Franciscans of the 1890's mocked the claim that declared Los Angeles a world city, yet within twenty years a powerful municipal will had made this boast a reality.

(A) yet within twenty years a powerful municipal will had made this boast a reality
(B) yet within twenty years a powerful municipal will made this boast a reality
(C) yet a powerful municipal within twenty years will make this boast a reality
(D) yet this boast had become a reality within twenty years because of a powerful will municipally
(E) yet within twenty years a municipal will had made this boast a powerful reality

OA: A

Please discuss / explain. Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:680

by rohangupta83 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:27 pm
I used process of elimination

imo A

This is how I approached it.

as soon as I read the sentence I figured that ''will had made'' is likely incorrect and crossed off choices 'A' and 'E'.

Choice B - Incorrect because ''will made'' - surely wrong! Just 'made' would've been perfect!

Choice C - ''will make'' - incorrect. We are talking about a claim in 1890 and the distortion of meaning is just horredous.

Choice D - ''powerful will municipality''? wrong! also incorrect use of the past perfect tense.

Now I know that choices B, C and D are grossly wrong so my initial thought that ''will had made'' is wrong, is probably wrong.

Now I un-cross choices A and E and read choice E

Choice E - incorrect ''powerful reality''? the original sentence was talking about a ''powerful municipal''. With E gone as the original sentence holds the edge when there are two grammatically correct sentences on the board.

Pick choice 'A'

Seriously - this is what I did, sorry can't give a better explanation than this.

Grammar Guru's help here - how could ''will had made'' be correct?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:43 pm
A has gotta be wrong, the use of the two opposing tenses in this manner is inappropriate.

source?

Legendary Member

by ronniecoleman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:54 pm
Damn!! :x

Source ?
Admission champion, Hauz khaz
011-27565856

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by umaa » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:27 pm
I think the question itself is wrong.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dbp116 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:14 pm
In "...powerful municipal will..." powerful and municipal are both adjectives that describe will. Will is a noun in this case.

This may help: What kind of will had made this boast a reality? A powerful municipal will.

I thought all of the answers were incorrect on my first read... :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by augusto » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:28 pm
Hi guys,

The question comes from Kaplan. I took it from the CD bundled with the book "GMAT Premier 2008".

I'm going to take the test in 1 week, and I'm happy that this question looks flawed and it's not that I'm nuts :p

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by kaulnikhil » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:03 am
augusto wrote:San Franciscans of the 1890's mocked the claim that declared Los Angeles a world city, yet within twenty years a powerful municipal will had made this boast a reality.

(A) yet within twenty years a powerful municipal will had made this boast a reality
(B) yet within twenty years a powerful municipal will made this boast a reality
(C) yet a powerful municipal within twenty years will make this boast a reality
(D) yet this boast had become a reality within twenty years because of a powerful will municipally
(E) yet within twenty years a municipal will had made this boast a powerful reality

OA: A

Please discuss / explain. Thanks!
Sorry for opening the dead thread.. Can someone please explain how will makes sense in the original answer?