Sachin Tendulkar

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Sachin Tendulkar

by hanspaul » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:59 pm
Quote from e-gmat.com

A: Last month Sachin Tendulkar became the first batsman to score 200 runs, thirty years after the first one day international game had been played.

B: Thirty years after the first one day international game was played, Sachin Tendulkar, last month, became the first batsman to score 200 runs.

A is my choice and B is the answer. Can someone explain why A is incorrect?

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:01 am
Interesting..
How can B be the right answer?

In B, what is "last month" modifying?
"Once you start working on something,
don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it.
People who work sincerely are the happiest."
Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC-275BC)

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by paes » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:48 am
I can't say that B is correct but A is definitely incorrect.

There is no need of past perfect here.

thirty years after : is giving a time sequence, no need of past perfect.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by Gurpinder » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:02 am
hanspaul wrote:Quote from e-gmat.com
A: Last month Sachin Tendulkar became the first batsman to score 200 runs, thirty years after the first one day international game had been played.

B: Thirty years after the first one day international game was played, Sachin Tendulkar, last month, became the first batsman to score 200 runs.

A is my choice and B is the answer. Can someone explain why A is incorrect?
Last month Sachin Tendulkar became the first batsman to score 200 runs, thirty years after the first one day international game had been played.

Green should precede the red part. the green part is modifying sachin's victory.

seems right. last month modifies sachin. and the error in A is fixed in this one.

Thirty years modifies the one day international game
"Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress."
- Alfred A. Montapert, Philosopher.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:710

by Maciek » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 am
hi!

what is the source of this question? can you post the remaining answers?

We use the past perfect:
1) for an action which happened before another past action or before a stated time in the past.
They had tidied their room by the time their parents arrived.

2) for an action which finished in the past and whose result was visible in the past.
Frank had washed the car, so the ground around it was wet.

Note: The past perfect is the past equivalent of the present perfect.

We use the past simple:
1) for an action which happened at a definite time in the past. The time is stated, already known or implied.
Sheila arrived in Tokyo last week.

2) for actions which happened immediately one after the other in the past.
He got out of bed, went to the kitchen and turned on the coffee machine.

3) for past habits or states which are now finished. In such cases we can also use the expression used to.
I lived/ used to live in France five years ago.
Source: Evans, V. & Dooley, J. 2000. Grammar 4, Enterprise Student's Book, Express Publishing.

hope it helps!
"There is no greater wealth in a nation than that of being made up of learned citizens." Pope John Paul II

if you have any questions, send me a private message!

should you find this post useful, please click on "thanks" button :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:27 am
This sentence is incorrect because of verb tense error. The use of past perfect tense is not required since the sequencing between the two events is clear through the use of word 'after'.
B: Thirty years after the first one day international game was played, Sachin Tendulkar, last month became the first batsman to score 200 runs.
This sentence is correct. The modifier "last month" clearly refers to the action "became". It provides the timing of the verb "became".

As you know this concept is covered in the concept titled "Types of Modifiers" where we discuss how such modifiers modify verbs.

The placement of this modifier would have been incorrect if it were placed as follows:

Thirty years after the first one day international game was played last month, Sachin Tendulkar, became the first batsman to score 200 runs.

Now "last month" modifies the verb "was played" and non-sensically implies that the first 1 day international game was played last month.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any more questions about this.
Last edited by e-GMAT on Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:08 am
e-GMAT wrote:
This sentence is incorrect because of verb tense error. Notice the verb tense "had been played". This tense - past perfect continuous - indicates that the action of playing match was a continuous action in the past time frame. Also, use of past perfect tense is not required since the sequencing between the two events is clear through the use of word 'after'.
B: Thirty years after the first one day international game was played, Sachin Tendulkar, last month became the first batsman to score 200 runs.
This sentence is correct. The modifier "last month" clearly refers to the action "became". It provides the timing of the verb "became".

As you know this concept is covered in the concept titled "Types of Modifiers" where we discuss how such modifiers modify verbs.

The placement of this modifier would have been incorrect if it were placed as follows:

Thirty years after the first one day international game was played last month, Sachin Tendulkar, became the first batsman to score 200 runs.

Now "last month" modifies the verb "was played" and non-sensically implies that the first 1 day international game was played last month.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any more questions about this.
Can you please breakdown the sentence into what role each modifier is playing?

I would have loved the sentence if it said:

Last Month, Thirty years after the first one day international game was played, Sachin Tendulkar, became the first batsman to score 200 runs.

Or

Last Month, Thirty years after the first one day international game was played, Sachin Tendulkar became the first batsman to score 200 runs.

My logic is, "thirty years...." is just additional information give. So, it needs to be warded off by commas.
If that phrase is removed, the sentence should still make sense.

I am be wrong though, But want to know how to go about it.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by hanspaul » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:23 pm
Thanks guys for all the posts.

I understand A) is not the correct choice because of past perfect tense, but I disagree the ordering of the two sentences matter.

Now let's fix A and change the past perfect to past tense as follows-

"Last month Sachin Tendulkar became the first batsman to score 200 runs, thirty years after the first one day international game was played."

Do you think it's a correct sentence?

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:43 am
kvcpk wrote: Can you please breakdown the sentence into what role each modifier is playing?

Last Month, Thirty years after the first one day international game was played, Sachin Tendulkar, became the first batsman to score 200 runs.

Or

Last Month, Thirty years after the first one day international game was played, Sachin Tendulkar became the first batsman to score 200 runs.

My logic is, "thirty years...." is just additional information give. So, it needs to be warded off by commas.

Hi Payal,

Can you please address this query

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by e-GMAT » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:09 pm
kvcpk wrote:
kvcpk wrote: Can you please breakdown the sentence into what role each modifier is playing?

Or

Hi Payal,

Can you please address this query
hi kvcpk,

You are correct. The sentence structure is as follows:

Main Clause= Sachin became first batsman....
Modifier for verb became = last month
Modifer for verb became = thirty years after...

Note that both modifiers here describe further the timing of 'became'.

The sentence that you suggested is correct.

As you know, there can be more than one ways of expressing an idea.The idea is to select the choice that communicates the idea without any grammatical errors. Its nice to see that you couldcome up with an alternative sentense structure to convey the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.

Please note that my response over the course of next 10 days may not be prompt since I am out of office.

Thanks.

Regards,
Payal

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by e-GMAT » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:17 pm
hanspaul wrote:Thanks guys for all the posts.

I understand A) is not the correct choice because of past perfect tense, but I disagree the ordering of the two sentences matter.

Now let's fix A and change the past perfect to past tense as follows-

"Last month Sachin Tendulkar became the first batsman to score 200 runs, thirty years after the first one day international game was played."

Do you think it's a correct sentence?
This sentence is correct. As I had mentioned in my reply, this sentence was correct because of verb tense error.

If you correct that erro,then this sentence has no errors and is correct.

You are also correct that changing order should not make a difference. It will however make a difference if the sentence were written as follows

Thirty years after...match was played last month, Sachin became...
In this sentencew sue to placement of comma after 'LAST MONTH', this modifer non-sensically modifies verb 'was played'.

i hope this helps.

Thanks and regards,

Payal

Legendary Member

by kvcpk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:31 pm
e-GMAT wrote: hi kvcpk,

You are correct. The sentence structure is as follows:

Main Clause= Sachin became first batsman....
Modifier for verb became = last month
Modifer for verb became = thirty years after...

Note that both modifiers here describe further the timing of 'became'.

The sentence that you suggested is correct.

As you know, there can be more than one ways of expressing an idea.The idea is to select the choice that communicates the idea without any grammatical errors. Its nice to see that you couldcome up with an alternative sentense structure to convey the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.

Please note that my response over the course of next 10 days may not be prompt since I am out of office.

Thanks.

Regards,
Payal
Thanks Payal for taking time to explain this. Apologies If I have disturbed your Vacation :)