Round 1 vs. Round 2..

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:05 am
iandavis wrote:Thanks for the Post Stacy its great.

What if I apply and then I'm not excepted. What happens next year, reapply with better scores or have I missed my chance?
You can always apply next year and next to next year with better candidacy and better profile!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by donnknow » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:29 am
aim-wsc wrote:

What if I apply and then I'm not excepted. What happens next year, reapply with better scores or have I missed my chance?
You can always apply next year and next to next year with better candidacy and better profile!!

i read in someplace that at some places reapplicants could be at a position of disadvantage?????could plz throw some light over this?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:11 pm
donnknow wrote:
aim-wsc wrote:

i read in someplace that at some places reapplicants could be at a position of disadvantage?????could plz throw some light over this?
You are correct though if you show significant improvement in career advancement, you certainly would have nice story & then you can reapply.

PS: Lets stick to the topic of the discussion here!
for other queries refer other threads or start a new one. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by raghuformba » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:31 pm
Hi All,

I want to ask about something that Stacy mentioned in the first post
"We know what the we want the class to look like. If you are not a good fit in R1, the best we will do is wait list you. At that point you are competing against R2 anyway" [End Quote]

Does every school do this and wait list interesting candidates for R2 to be compared with the applicant pool there?

Also I want a comment on something else I saw which said that application in R1 shows definitive interest in the school !

Raghu

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:04 am
Dear Raghu,

Schools with large applicant pools, which would be most of your global top 50, will waitlist many folks in round 1 to compare against round 2.

Round 1 applications are generally from strong, motivated candidates. As these deadlines are almost a year from the time you enter school, it is commonly viewed that first rounders are "planners" who start researching schools and the like for several months to years before applying. Thus applying early can indicate you have been thinking of pursuing your MBA for a while which many translate as "definitive interest".

I would argue, however, that it is not applying in the first round that demonstrates definitive interest, but a strong application with essays conveying thorough knowledge of the school and how it is a good match for you. Likewise, candidates can show definitive interest by visiting campus and/or meeting with school representatives in their geographic areas.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by raghuformba » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:13 am
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for clarifying...

Raghu

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660(

by 4meonly » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:27 am
Stacy Blackman wrote:You are generally at a disadvantage applying in R3.
Stacy, could you please elaborate?

I prepared to R2 but passed through GMAT with 620. Thats why I want to retake it and apply at R3.
What can you advise? Apply at R2 with low score or to apply at R3 with good score?

I am 28 years, physician by education, GPA 3.9. I have 5 years of experience in pharmaceutical business with 3 years of management experience, 1 year - full P&L responsibility. I am responsible for developing and applying brand marketing strategy in Russian and CIS in the leading Russian R'n'D pharma company.

Thank you for advice!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:54 pm
The reason R3 is a disadvantage is that there are fewer seats to be offered. Most of the top 30 will offer a large majority of available seats in R1 and R2. While there will still be some offers of admission to R3 candidates, the competition to get one is much tougher than in earlier rounds. In your case, I think you need to weigh the risk of applying R3 versus how much of an increase on the GMAT you think you can get. If you believe you can increase your score at least 30 points, then it might be worth applying in R3. Likewise, if the rest of your application is strong and the GMAT is the only potential weakness, then it might be worth applying in R2 to see what happens.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by cheesenchocolate » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:06 pm
So what I can conjure is this, do correct me if I'm wrong:

It as definitely better to apply in R1.

Worst case scenario: You might not gain anything by applying early but (hey!) you don't have anything to lose either. Besides, it gives one a definitive advantage in scholarships etc.

R1 might not be better than R2 or may be it is. Nobody knows. But R1 will definitely not hurt my chances.

P.S. Assuming I'm not rushing up my application.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:33 am
Dear cheesenchocolate,

Yes, you have the gist. There is not a significant advantage to R1 over R2 in terms of being admitted. But if you can submit in R1 without rushing your app/sacrificing quality, it is best to do so as being in the first round will allow you to be amongst the first applications considered, convey your commitment to going to business school, and in the event you are waitlisted, give you time to take action that will strengthen your case.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by cheesenchocolate » Sun May 01, 2011 6:39 pm
Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear cheesenchocolate,

Yes, you have the gist. There is not a significant advantage to R1 over R2 in terms of being admitted. But if you can submit in R1 without rushing your app/sacrificing quality, it is best to do so as being in the first round will allow you to be amongst the first applications considered, convey your commitment to going to business school, and in the event you are waitlisted, give you time to take action that will strengthen your case.

Good luck,
Lisa
Dear Madam,

What do you mean by "in the event you are waitlisted, give you time to take action that will strengthen your case."? What additional things can one do once one is waitlisted?

Regards,

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Tue May 03, 2011 9:32 am
What action you might or might not take if you are put on the waitlist will vary by the reason your application was waitlisted and the policy of the school for waitlisted applicants. Some schools will not allow waitlisted applicants to submit additional materials or updates, but many will. For those that do, you want to try to address any concerns or questions the admissions committee has on your application. For example, if your GMAT is below average, you might want to retake the GMAT. Or, you might want to submit an additional recommendation or essay statement.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by p237.iitb » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:12 am
Hi,

I am extremely confused on this very topic. I am planning to apply this year and have shortlisted some schools as dream schools and within reach schools. Now since this is the first time I'll be writing essays and my story etc. So I thought it would be better if one applies in round-1 to schools that are sort of out of reach + one is not to keen too to go to them. And once you gain experience, you may have the chance to improve upon your story, essays, interview skills and then apply to schools in that you really want to go to.

But again the issue is that R-2 may be more competitive as many suggest because most of the reapplicants too apply in Round-2.

I would really appreciate if you could clear out my confusions.

Thanks

Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:54 am
Dear p237.iitb,

There is not a significant advantage to applying in round 1 versus round 2; you do want to apply by round 2 though as most schools make the majority of their admission offers to applicants in the first two rounds. The disadvantage after round 2 is that there are so few seats left to offer so you must be one of the most outstanding applicants in the later rounds to have a chance at an admission offer. Your plan to submit applications in both rounds 1 and 2 is fine--just try to submit as soon as you feel your applications are ready and don't wait until the last possible day.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by rajshas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:50 pm
Hi

thanx for the info. I am wondering the world has not changed since the time you have posted the very first post. I was looking at this https://gmatclub.com/forum/wharton-2013- ... 31304.html

it says that Warton 2013 applicants breakup
Round1 applicants accepted: 89
Round2 :13
Round3 2

It also says its realtime updated.... neverthe less , can you show some light on how many are selected for R1 vs R1 .
This can be a approx % as well , b'coz best of my knowledge no school shares the real data.

regards
Raj