Reviewing AWA and Integrated Reasoning?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Reviewing AWA and Integrated Reasoning?

by sanabaw » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:49 pm
Hi! :-)

How much time is recommended for AWA and Integrated Reasoning review?

I only have 8 weeks to prepare for the gmat- and initially allocated 2.5 weeks for Quants, 2 weeks for Verbals, 1 week for hard core comprehensive review, and 1.5 weeks for AWA and Integrated Reasoning. Is that too much time for AWA and IR?

Personally, I want to score very well on the AWA and IR because they are, respectively, windows to our written communication skills and mental-processing. I suck at IR and am terribly afraid of getting a 4 or less on AWA. But at the same time, I know those weeks could be used on quants and verbals, and could spell a big difference in score.

I'd love to hear your inputs. :-)
Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:10 pm
GIve yourself a few hours for each. Use the forums to get a sense of what good essays look like for the AWA and then submit your own for a peer review. IR isn't being assessed very carefully but you should put time in to understanding how the questions work so that when you take it your score won't raise any red flags.

They are not nearly as important as the quant and verbal scores, so the majority of your time should be spent there.
Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
https://www.mbabreakaway.com/
Recent post: July 12, "Summer"

by richelmark » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 pm
hi
i've bought OG 13 edition. and i have an access to wiley website for 50 IR questions. please give me suggestions whether this resources enough for IR or i need to buy manhattan IR and essay guide. i didnt find any review about that manhattan IR and essay guide

your suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Organo Gold

by sanabaw » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:50 am
The GMAC guys have a great resource for the AWA. You get to write four essays and them critiqued. Since the source is the official test maker, my guess is, you'll get a good idea on how you'd score and how well you should prepare.

50IR questions should be about enough. The Critical Reasoning you use for the CR-Verbal questions applies to IR. For the most part, the IR uses concepts covered by the quants section too. (I realized that after completing 80% of my quants & verbal review)

If that doesn't satisfy you, MGMAT's IR & AWA costs $5 (https://www.manhattangmat.com/Store.cfm). Buy it. It costs as much as coffee from Starbucks. :D

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:03 am
sanabaw wrote: I only have 8 weeks to prepare for the gmat- and initially allocated 2.5 weeks for Quants, 2 weeks for Verbals, 1 week for hard core comprehensive review, and 1.5 weeks for AWA and Integrated Reasoning. Is that too much time for AWA and IR?
I'm always a little concerned when a student writes, "I have only X weeks/days/hours to prepare for the GMAT."
The length of time that it takes to sufficiently prepare depends on many factors, mainly:
- your current abilities
- your target score
- the quality of your prep

While I think it's a good idea to set yourself a particular timeframe (for motivation), I typically recommend that students achieve their target scores on at least 2 practice tests before taking the official exam. So, if after 7 weeks, you find that you haven't achieved your target scores, you might consider rescheduling your test.

Having said all of that. I think that 1.5 weeks to prepare for AWA and IR is sufficient.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by shivkumarc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:53 am
hi,

I request members to provide link for Wiley IR login page,do the needful