Retaking the GMAT - Revision schedule & Best revision gu

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I did my first GMAT today and scored 520. I was pretty upset until I found this forum. In my stupidity I hadn't realized that you are actually supposed to revise for GMAT (I only did the practice exam yesterday and scored 680 so I thought I would be fine).

I'm now planning on redoing the test in the summer and want to be well prepared next time (aiming for 680-720). How much revision most people do in order to achieve those scores?

I'd also appreciate if someone could recommend any good maths revision books. Preferably a bit more advanced than the official GMAT book. Also, the other area I struggle the most was the sentence correction. What would be the best source to practice for that section?

Thanks in advance!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vivecan2005 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 am
ManhattanGMAT books are great for Maths.
In addition, Official Quantitative review by Graduate Management Admission Council. Remember, During preparation always be around the Official Material and never go too far in search for great material.

The approach you should adopt at this point of time:

I don't think you remember that which question was correct in actual exam so forget it for a moment.

Do an official exam from GMATPrep at home in same conditions as in exam.

Find out the specifc areas where you were wrong and then use specific Manahattan GMAT book for that area of weakness.

Don't invest time in re-doing everything for 720 sake. Certainly there are some areas where you are expert and that's why you got 520! So find those area and work on them through Manhattan GMAT and Official Material.

Never Generalize that I am weak in quant or verbal, you must SPECIFICALLY find out where you are weak ion quant? Are those equations? Are those Number properties? Are those Probability?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:44 am
s.elena wrote:I did my first GMAT today and scored 520. I was pretty upset until I found this forum. In my stupidity I hadn't realized that you are actually supposed to revise for GMAT (I only did the practice exam yesterday and scored 680 so I thought I would be fine).

I'm now planning on redoing the test in the summer and want to be well prepared next time (aiming for 680-720). How much revision most people do in order to achieve those scores?

I'd also appreciate if someone could recommend any good maths revision books. Preferably a bit more advanced than the official GMAT book. Also, the other area I struggle the most was the sentence correction. What would be the best source to practice for that section?

Thanks in advance!
revision in GMAT is slightly diff than what we normally do in our student life....

here the point is not to revise the books , here we need to revise the errors we commited and the concept we learned.....
the pattern shuld be like
day 1 ....practice some q
day 2 .......analyze those and prepare err log....get the concept clear
.day 5 .......revise those q again and justify each option

u can make your own schedule.....

for maths
MGMAT sets , kaplan maths , OG 10, BTG forum, GMAT HACKS, are enough for more practice visit grockit.com

for
s/c -MGMAT s/c, a grammer book , kap verbal, lsat sets are suff....

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by s.elena » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:18 am
Thank you for replies!

I checked the Manhattan series and they seem to be exactly what I need, especially the sentence correction books.

I think the most important part in the quantitative section which I lacked was the routine. I haven't done any maths since high school which was a long time ago (I only need to do GMAT because I want to do business-related masters after a non-business first degree). The quantitative questions in the actual GMAT were quite basic (with my score I doubt I got a single difficult question) and I got really frustrated because I knew they were easy but I just couldn't remember quickly enough how to solve them.

I am actually quite excited about doing the GMAT again now. I think all the stuff I need to learn and re-familiarize is something that I should know in any case. It is also a fun exam to do compared to university exams :)