Retake the GMAT or Not

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Retake the GMAT or Not

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:25 am
Hi,

I am trying to decide if I need to take the GMAT one more time or if I should just apply with the score I have.

I took the GMAT in April and scored a 610 (Q 36; V 38; IR 6 Essay 5.5). I took it again on Aug. 29th and improved my score to a 650 (Q 38; V 41; IR 1; Essay 5.5). I am a female, 27 years old, 3.3 GPA, BS in Biology from Tulane University, 4 years work experience and my dad is an immigrant from Brazil, so I think I might be considered Latino on apps, but not positive as my mother is Irish so I am only 50%....not sure what they consider Latino, I might be "Other". Anyhow, I reached out to both of the GMAT prep companies I used to see what they thought and got opposing opinions.

As we are getting close to deadlines, I am trying to decide if I should retake the exam, possibly pushing my applications to another round/next year or focus on my essays and apply with my score as is. I am aiming for a mid-range programs: Ohio State, University of Wisconsin, Boston College and a reach that I am interested in Indiana. I just am not sure if I have a chance at these schools with my score now.

I am concerned that my skewed scores (94% in Verbal compared to a 40% in Quant) in addition to the fact that I bombed the IR the 2nd time around. Might this raise a red flag. I can clearly do better in IR my first score demonstrates, but is it worth the extra time that I could be spending on the other aspects of the application? I also believe if I worked at it I could continue to improve my quant as I dont have much room for change on verbal.

I would really appreciate your opinion as I am unsure what to do.

Thank you,

Alyssa

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionKate » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:59 am
Hi Alyssa,

First of all, that's great you bumped up your score from 610 to 650! I wouldn't worry about the low IR score, schools just don't really use that section yet. But I would be concerned about the low Quant, that's typically the section that schools pay most attention to. So, I think it depends...it depends on whether you had any quant courses (Stats, Calculus, etc.) in undergrad and how you did in those courses (A's & B's or C's & lower?). It also depends on what kind of work experience you have and what level of quant skills are required in that job. Those can be used to demonstrate quant skills outside of the GMAT. So if those things are strong then I don't think a retake is a must. But it does seem like it could be a good idea, especially if you think there's room to improve on quant and since a 650 is still going to be below median at all the schools you list. It's certainly not out of range though. But if you want to do everything you can to maximize your chances, then I think you need to demonstrate your quant skills in some way. That could be via your undergrad coursework / work experience like I mentioned, by taking a supplemental pre-MBA course or by retaking the GMAT. I know that may not be the definitive answer you were looking for :) but these decisions are made very holistically so it depends on a lot of different factors. Let me know if we can help with anything else!

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:25 pm
Hi Kate,

Thank you for your quick response! I see that this is a complicated question with many considerations and not an easy thing to simply answer, so thank you for your thoughtful consideration. I took Calculus and Stats in school and got received an A in both courses. However, I did not get particularly great grades in Physics, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry (B- to C range), I am not sure if these courses would also be looked at in regards to quantitative abilities.

As far as my professional background, I managed the accounting (payables/receivables) as an operations manager for a start-up for 3 years, the weak aspect of this experience being that I was the only person in the accounting department so I did not directly manage anyone. My current position is unfortunately not as quantitative in nature compared to my previous position, a program assistant for the Gov. Office of Storm Recovery, and again I do not manage anyone. So my work experience could be considered weak as it is administrative in nature and not traditional.

I do have other aspects that demonstrate quantitative abilities, but you did mention my score is below the mean for most of the schools I am considering, so maybe a retake might be my best option. And my work experience might be considered weak potentially.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my issue.

Kind regards,
Alyssa

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionKate » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:57 pm
Hi Alyssa,

Happy to help! Having A's in both Calc and Stats will definitely help, the others you mentioned are probably less applicable. I don't think I'd categorize your work experience as weak -- many applicants don't have traditional management experience and that's just fine. They're really looking for leadership potential and evidence of important skills like teamwork, communication, project management, initiatve, etc. So it sounds like you might have some of that, and the fact that your current role is a bit non-traditional might actually help you stand out. If you're willing to postpone your apps until next year, then it might be worth giving it a shot this year without the GMAT retake, and then if you don't get the results you want, plan to retake and reapply next year. Schools are definitely open to reapplicants and with a higher GMAT score, you'd have clear evidence of strengthening your profile. If you do apply, definitely write an Optional Essay about your quant skills.

Good luck!
Kate

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:46 am
Hi Kate,

Thank you for your encouraging words and prompt response! It is a relief to hear that not being in a management level position will not substantially affect my chances of being admitted if I can demonstrate leadership "potential".

I had actually considered applying with my current score and then reapplying (with a new GMAT) if I was not satisfied with the results, but I was not at the time sure if schools had a negative attitude towards re-applicants.

I think I will give it a shot and try applying this year with my score as is, and just focus on making the rest of my application stand out/address my quant performance in the optional essay. If I need to reapply with a revised GMAT, I am alright postponing my plans and trying again in a year, I suppose this way I will at least maybe have options.

Thank you for taking the time to provide some insight, I appreciate it! I know with application season in full swing you guys must be quite busy!

Kind regards,
Alyssa

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionKate » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:56 pm
Hi Alyssa-
That sounds like a good strategy...and yes, schools are definitely open to reapplicants. There are so many ways to stand out in the process outside of the GMAT...I know we focus a lot on that, especially on many of these message boards, but it really is just one factor! Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or if you'd like some help with the process.
Best,
Kate