Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Retake GMAT at 710 ?

by SirBean » Wed May 29, 2013 4:40 am
Dear Sirs,

Here is my Background :

Male , Indian , IT Engineer : 4 years with Accenture, 1 in London.

Pros in App :
Good career progress , back to back promotions, client awards , domestic awards , excellent extra-curriculars during under-graduation college (sports, led a college association). Working on High-Tech and rare business technology. Part-time GMAT tutor. Achievable post-mba goals.

Cons :

Bad Bad GPA. ALA 60% in Mumbai. Overrepresented pool. Not looking at any school beyond top 40. An academic gap between my High-school and undergrad college.

My question is, at this stage should I retake my GMAT. Will a 740 or a 750 add to my profile things that a 710/720 doesnt. My target schools are ISB, Stern and Duke. Thank you for your help.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by ErinaApphelp » Wed May 29, 2013 5:21 am
Hi,

Candidates aren't satisfied until they achieve 800...!!! You have a decent GMAT with good work experience including international exposure. Whatever you've done in your acads and undergrads is a past, which cannot be changed. What you can do right now is apply in your target b-schools and focus on application essays & interviews which play pivotal role in b-school admission. You may guage your chances in b-schools by clicking https://goo.gl/lhc05

Let me know in case you require any further assistance. You may PM your details for free profile evaluation and selection of b-schools.

Regards
Erina

SirBean wrote:Dear Sirs,

Here is my Background :

Pros in App :
Good career progress , back to back promotions, client awards , domestic awards , excellent extra-curriculars during under-graduation college (sports, led a college association). Working on High-Tech and rare business technology. Part-time GMAT tutor. Achievable post-mba goals.

Cons :

Bad Bad GPA. ALA 60% in Mumbai. Overrepresented pool. Not looking at any school beyond top 40. An academic gap between my High-school and undergrad college.

My question is, at this stage should I retake my GMAT. Will a 740 or a 750 add to my profile things that a 710/720 doesnt. My target schools are ISB, Stern and Duke. Thank you for your help.
GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school
Free Profile Evaluation- https://www.apphelp.co.in/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 am
Hi there,

The blunt answer is no. At this stage in the game, schools are beginning to release their essay topics and application deadlines. If you were to retake the GMAT and focus on that additional 20 - 30 points at the cost of delaying your applications, you're going to shoot yourself in the foot.

A 710 is a great score. It's right around average for your applicant pool but your work experiences, especially the international component, will help you pull some interesting experiences into your application.

At this point my recommendation is focus on your applications - that's where the bang for your buck will be.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by MBAApply » Wed May 29, 2013 9:46 am
SirBean wrote:Dear Sirs,

Here is my Background :

Pros in App :

Cons :

Don't retake it. In fact, it can be a negative because adcoms may feel that you don't understand what b-school is about (and that b-school admissions isn't a math competition). Your GMAT is good enough.

To be blunt, you're an Indian IT guy. They're not looking for Indian IT guys with monster GMATs. They're looking for folks (Indian IT or not) who have leadership potential, which has nothing to do with being good at taking tests. Your success in the admissions process comes down to your ability to convince the adcom that you have the social skills and broad perspective that will allow you to thrive in a highly collaborative environment of b-school students from around the world.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:36 am
If you graduated from University of Mumbai the quality of the undergraduate institution will compensate to a degree for the grades. But a higher GMAT score will help your MBA admissions chances.

For an Indian applicant to top 15 U.S. schools, I believe that a 740 is significantly better than a 710. The degree to which this improves your chances is less important at schools outside the top 15. One admissions director of a top 10 MBA school told me that the Indian average is around a 740. So, if you were continually scoring a 740-750 in your mock exams and were able to score a 740-750 in a real exam the 30-40 point increase would represent a significant percentage jump from below the Indian average to at or a little above the Indian average. Also, ISB has an average GMAT of 711 so you would be moving this part of your application from the average to significantly above average.

You mention you are targeting Stern and Duke which are Top 15 U.S. schools. Try to apply to NYU Stern first round and Duke Early Action to increase your chances. Since we are still in June you should have time to retake the exam and hit the first round. This does not discount the fact that within your applications you should emphasize your international exposure, business aspects of your job, areas you have demonstrated leadership and initiative in your job, etc.

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by SirBean » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 am
Thanks !!! That helps a lot.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:27 am
I am glad. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am
I don't want to clog the blog with repeated advice. So don't worry about your gmat, but do be realistic about schools. Apply to schools below Stern and Duke in the rankings as well as I don't view you as a high probability candidate there, particularly given your IT profile. Look at schools that are friendly to your profile like McCombs, Tepper...

Alex
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178