request for profile evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

request for profile evaluation

by winner's attitude » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:51 am
Hi... Thans in advance for evaluating my profile

1) Male , Indian , 30 , Non IT background
2) We have 10+2+3 education system in India ( 10th - 73%, 12th - 80% , was nominated for National Scholarship scheme being a student of top 500 slot out from a pool of 60k students )
4) Undergrads - Bachelors in Business Admin ( we have % evaluation system for graduation in India, i scored 65% in my undergrads , i don't know how business schools evaluate this system, i had been among top 50 students of the university )
5) Executive programme in Business Management ( a part time certificate programme of one year ) from Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta ( IIM C) , IIM is very well know b-school in india. honestly speaking didn't get any value addition from this programme.
6)I was awarded scholarship of 50% waiver in tuition fees by one of the top 10 business schools on the basis of my scores for their entrance exams ( quiet similar on the lines of GMAT ) in the year 2000, because i was among top 50 students of the country.

7) Experience - nine years of experience in Financial Services ( Functionally - Business Development , Retail ) , excellent exposure in terms of leadership , have been leading and managing people for the last seven years now ( jr level manpower in first 4 yrs and mid level manpower for the last 3 yrs ). Have worked with very well known companies of India. Have managed sales teams at state/regional level in the most competitive markets.

Career progression == trainee == officer == sr.officer == asst manager == deputy manager == manager == sr. manager

Now ,here comes the weakness too

1) No international work exposure because my job doesn't demand it all , in IT companies you get to work across globe because the industry demands it wherein my job profile doesn't demand it.. so how would adcom view it ?
2) Nothing to speak as far as EC are concerned... can i develop somehting by the time i apply ? vague question but one of my ex tutors told me if you dont have one... develop one..

Now comes the question Why MBA ?

Wanna get into consulting , so my focus would be sales consulting, marketing and stratagy.

I have been preparing for GMAT and have been consistently scoring 600-640 , but am afraid that this score won't help me in reaching anywhere so am still giving some more time to reach upto 680-700 atleast or 700+.

Now my questions

1) which b-schools do you think are good as per my profile..US as well as non US..
2) I heard US b-schools dont give much importance to international work experience the way europian and other b-schools do , so my chances are better in US b-schools ? how true is this.. because i am more interested in one year MBA rather then going for regular two years MBA
3) Can you comment my profile suitability for INSEAD
4) I am sure that i appear for gmat right now i would score around 650 , so should i appear for gmat or should i make it sure that i reach to a level of 700 , what should be an ideal score for such profile with higher work experience.
5) How would a business school view my plan to shift from industry to consulting after giving such a long time to industry.

I understand a few aspects of my questions are very relative , but would be obliged it you can just give your individual comments on the basis of your experience till date

Thanks very much
Hiren