Request for profile evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Request for profile evaluation

by abhisheksamantasenior » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:18 pm
Hi,

Could you please let me know whether I am realistic in setting my target schools with my profile/ if not then what should I do to overcome shortcomings?

Target Schools - Top 15 US B Schools (well, I know this is a wrong way of putting things - ranking should not be a deciding factor)

GMAT Score - 750 (Verbal - 43, Quant - 51)

Job Profile:
Name of the company - Capgemini Inc.
Designation - Senior Consultant
Experience - Joined in September 2005
Sector - IT
Job Description - Ahhh....this is one (only!!) area I can boast of!! Started a two-member team in 2006 to support HSBC credit cards services. Team size has grown to 20. Right now leading a team of 60 associates. Started two new engagements with HSBC. Got three promotions so far. Won four leadership awards - one of them being the quarterly CEO award.

International Experience - almost 1 year

Secondary Education (General Subjects) - 86.5% in 1998
Higher Secondary (Science) - 76.5% in 2000
Engineering Entrance Exam - Ranked 174 (out of almost 75K students in the state)
Undergraduate (Electrical Engineering) - :'(. GPA - 2.5.

Other - CFA Level 1, PMP
Extra curricular Activities - Painting (did for 4 years and have recently resumed - have some certificates to showcase) - won few prizes too, Photography
Social Service - Nil

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:51 am
abhisheksamantasenior:

Thanks for your questions. I think your profile is one with distinct strengths (your career growth with the HSBC account and your GMAT) and some relative weaknesses (your GPA and your lack of extracurriculars beyond your painting). I do not know much about your international experiences, but you mention having had a full year of those and that might also be a benefit to you applications.

Because you only ask about the ranking of schools you may have a chance with, I feel like schools that are ranked 10-20 might be reasonable. However, I really advise you to do some research into the schools' specific programs to see where you may be a good fit. Also, think about your long-term goals and which schools will make the most impact in your preparation to attain your goals. Without knowing more about your goals, I cannot make better recommendations on school fit.

Best of luck to you,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by abhisheksamantasenior » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:10 am
Thank you Jennifer for your reply and time.

I should have mentioned my goals and other relevant information at the first place. My apology.

My short-term goal is to pursue a career in a financial consultancy company. Though my professional experience has developed a knowledge in the consultancy, team management, leadership, across-the-globe client handling and risk-management, but having worked mainly in IT, I have very limited exposure to financial world. So my short term goal is to earn MBA with finance major, join a global financial consultancy corporation, acquire an expertise in financial world, develop my reputation in the industry and channelize my already earned expertise in the consultancy area into financial world.

My long-term goal is to establish my own financial and investment consultancy firm. An MBA degree from a reputed institute, its strong alumni network, skills acquired at the school as well as the post-MBA career and entrepreneurship will help me to bridge the gap between my previous experience and my long-term goal of building my consultancy firm.

By the way, I am from India and belong to (in)famous India/IT/Male pool.
Workwise, I understand that I work in IT, but good thing is that from the very beginning I was put (yes, I WAS put) in leadership role. My manager trusted a fresher to start a new venture (that time the project type was completely unheard of in the whole company) - completely new engagement and I worked hard to keep the promise. Gradually, the team grew to 50+ members, generating revenue of 0.8 M/year and positioned itself in the pivotal role of HSBC's North America's credit card business. Later I was involved in another new area - where we took up the a whole department of HSBC. So these things should showcase my required business skills. But yes, having experiences and putting them on paper in an interesting manner and getting it supported from the recommenders are different thing. I need to work upon that; that is why I am taking extra time to apply.

I'd apply for next year i.e. say around Nov 2011.

Another thingn is that though I have international exposure of almost 1 year, it is not continuous one. I was in USA July to December - 6 months in 2009 and June to November - another 6 months, this year. Most probably, nex year I'll again be in USA for another 6 months.

At this point of time, can I do anything to fill up my 'void' areas?

Thanks again for taking time to reply.

Regards,

Abhishek