Request for profile evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Request for profile evaluation

by ivtec » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:15 am
Hi,

I am Govind from India and I am 25 years old. I took the GMAT in September this year and scored 700/89% with the split up scores as: Q 48/73%, V 38/85%, AWA 5/57%, IR 8/92%.

My entire schooling was completed in schools affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and my scores in 10th and 12th grades are 89.6% and 83.8% respectively.

I pursued my undergraduate studies in the field of Electronics and Telecommunication and I hold a Bachelor of Engineering degree from the University of Mumbai, with an overall score of 67.33%. I completed my undergraduate studies in the year 2012.

I started my career as an apprentice trainee (full time) in the Telecom industry with Tata Teleservices Limited, where I worked as an network engineer for 3 months, after which I joined the IT industry with Tata Consultancy Services limited where I am currently working (completed 3 years as I write this).

My work profile at TCS involves programming in Java, estimating the development efforts, collaborating with customers and vendors outside India for offering solutions and implementing software systems. In the past year, I also have played the role of a team lead and took full responsibility of 2 critical components of the project. My role also involved me to lead the team of newbies and highly experienced people in a high stress environment with tight deadlines to deliver high quality software components to our customer.

My Post MBA career interest lies in the field of strategic planning, specially in the transport industry, more specifically, the automobile Industry. My secondary interests are in the field of operations management and marketing.

I have an immense interest in technology and a unique ability to use technology to solve everyday business problems. I am an extrovert and easily mingle with people across diverse groups, a skill that I have acquired by living in different parts of India till date. I also have an very good command over the English language.

My extra curricular activities include Presentations- technical and non technical, Driving, Reading and listening to songs. I also involve myself in public speaking activities and debates whenever possible.

I applied to the Indian school of Business and attended the interview, but I could not manage to get an admit.
Currently, I have an interview invite from the UBC-Sauder. I have also applied to Nanyang Business School-Singapore.

Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest business schools that fit my profile and would help me pursue my post MBA goals, so that I can apply realistically and have a better chances of securing an admit.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:15 am
Hi Ivtec,
The biggest challenge I see in your profile is that it is very similar to your competition, but with slightly lower numbers -- GMAT, GPA. At ISB, you probably just got bumped out by someone who is virtually your twin, only with a 720 or higher GMAT.

So your task here is to clarify your goals, who you hope to work for post-MBA and why, and then to identify schools that typically accept applicants with the numbers you have. Your best approach here is to analyse the incoming class profile each school posts on its website (Bloomberg has these as well), and see where your GPA and GMAT start to show up as the median or average (not the 80% spread) for this school. Then, narrow down your choices by industry focus -- which schools have strong hiring records in your post-MBA industry/companies of choice? The more precision you have in identifying your own goals, the more effective your applications will be.

Your work experience is strong, but local -- getting some international exposure would certainly help. The other thing that will help -- you may not want to hear this -- is to retake the GMAT. Your competition is coming in with 720+, and since this is something you can still do something about, why not roll up your sleeves and give it your best shot?

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ivtec » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:48 am
Thank you for the evaluation, Margaret!

I have an international assignment coming up (in a few days from now). Considering this fact, do you think it is a good idea to retake the GMAT?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:17 pm
It's always a good idea to retake the GMAT, if you think you can get a higher score. You've got a lot of good stuff here, and the international assignment will be a nice addition; however, you want to be sure you're giving yourself the best chance for success, and in this case, I think a slightly higher GMAT would be a big help.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me