Rejection after interview---still apply next year?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710
I decided to apply late to University of Florida, like one week before orientation started, since I saw spots were still available and figured I'd give it a chance. I got an interview but I only had a few days to prepare and once the interview came I was a bit overwhelmed and didn't perform so well. I was rejected but I'm wondering if I still have any shot for 2014.

Should I look at the fact I got an interview as good sign since that's usually the first big step? Or am I kinda screwed that I not gonna have any time between my rejection and 1st rd deadline to really improve myself. I have a good GMAT (710) but a low GPA (2.76). I have 5 yrs work experience but not much leadership roles and I've bounced around in different professions.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:45 am
Hi Sanjay,

In short, yes, reapply. The fact that you got an interview is a good sign and you have a strong GMAT score.

Secondly, I'd be interested to learn more about your story to see if there are some golden nuggets in there that would put you in the running for higher-ranked schools. You seem to be interested in them but convinced you have no chance. I have a great track record of helping people with low GPAs get into top-ranked schools. Maybe I could do the same for you!

Either way, give University of Florida another shot-and apply a lot earlier this time!

Good luck!
Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by SanjayGolf » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:16 pm
Thank you Kaneisha. I do plan to reapply to UF early this time around but my concern I will have had less time to improve myself to make myself more appealing compared to people who applied early last year, were rejected but now have had a year to improve. I'm certainly taking steps to improve my chances but my fear is that there is only so much I can do in so little time to show the Adcoms I'm a better applicant

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:14 am
Hey Sanjay,

I think the majority of your improvement will come from articulation, not data points. By that I mean if you applied a week before orientation, then the amount of time you could put into your application was severely limited.

So while the raw facts of your profile may not have changed as much as another applicant's, your ability this time around to put forward a more compelling story will be critical.

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm happy to help,

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!