Reco's

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Reco's

by necromancer_678 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:34 am
Hi Stacy,

One of my recommender wanted to know that can he write as much as he wants for each of the questions in the reco form...or is there some word limit.

Could you throw some light on the usual norm.

Thanks.
-Necro

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:14 pm
Dear Necro,

Most schools do not specify a word limit, but often recommenders are limited by the size of the text box. There are a few schools that specify ~200 words for each short answer question. As for a letter to upload or send separately, there is usually not a specified length, but two pages should be sufficient. Anything going beyond two pages will make the admissions folks wonder what your recommender is compensating for with the length.

Hope that helps,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Reco's

by necromancer_678 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:49 am
Thanks for the prompt reply Lisa...

I have another doubt on the reco's part...does it make a difference if we submit a recommendation letter instead of their provided form.

Will it in any way be a negative for me?
As we apply to a number of Universities and they all have slight variations in their forms, it is difficult for the recommender to fill up so many forms.

Hope you understand my concern.

Thanks in advance

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:44 am
It is always best to follow the application instructions for a school--even with recommendations. So ideally, you would want your recommenders to use the forms as opposed to/in addition to a letter. However, the questions are often similar from school to school and if the letter addresses those questions, then the letter will at least provide the information requested. While you will not be "penalized" for your recommender not following the directions, it is a missed opportunity to strengthen your application. If your recommenders do not follow the instructions, then the admissions committees might not view the letter with as much value.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me