Realistic Scores and Schools

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Realistic Scores and Schools

by kevindstevens » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:57 pm
First of all let me state that this forum has already been amazingly helpful and I have only been reading it for a month or so. I was hoping I could get some advice on GMAT prep and what schools are realistic for me preferably in Texas but I am open to anywhere. Here is my profile:

Degree in Political Science with minor English
GPA 2.5 (2.6 last 60 hours)
A's in both Calculus and Statistics during my undergrad

GPA was low due to extenuating circumstances, mom attempted suicide during my undergrad after a divorce and then my grandmother had a stroke which debilitated her to the point of needing 24/7 care which I helped with.

Work Experience:
7 years full time (never had anything less than a full time job during school. Most of my work experience was in retail but I was promoted 3 times and was a manager of a staff of 20 for 3 years. Now I am a Commercial Account Manager for a leading renewable energy cooperation and would like a MBA to build my knowledge in investing so I can lead projects investing in renewable forms of energy.

I know I do not have the most impressive profile but I would like to just be admitted into a school that can further my knowledge, get a foot in the door, and make me more marketable as I embark on a new and hopefully successful career.

My questions would be:

1. What GMAT score am I going to need to have any chances of being accepted into a decent school (UTD or TCU?

2. Do I have a realistic shot at these schools?

3. What can I do to improve my chances outside of doing well on the GMAT?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Regards,
Kevin

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:51 am
Hey Kevin,
Well it's hard to give you an evaluation of what schools to apply for without a GMAT, and as for your first question: better is to just get the best score you can now, and worry about schools later. I think your serious stories can be used to explain a bit about the GPA, and that if you can couple it with a relatively strong GMAT you should be good. For the GMAT - start withbooks, computer programs and courses. Other than that, being comfy on test day helps!!
:)
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by kevindstevens » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:50 am
Thank you for the advice Jon! I have begun studying by enrolling in the Knewton program as well as purchasing Manhattan's Math Strategy Guide and the OG 13th edition.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:37 am
kevindstevens wrote:Thank you for the advice Jon! I have begun studying by enrolling in the Knewton program as well as purchasing Manhattan's Math Strategy Guide and the OG 13th edition.
check your private messages
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sagar@jk » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:57 am
GMAT: A GMAT score of at least 650 is considered ideal to apply for a decent MBA program. A higher GMAT score will brighten your prospects for high-ranking MBA colleges, despite your low GPA.

Your Realism: Much depends on your GMAT score and your ability to market yourself well through your essays. Justify your reasons for low GPA with conviction.

The Adcom is receptive and there have been instances of inviting some students for interview with slightly lower test scores and grades. Add a sturdy record of extracurricular activities to your profile. It may be beneficial. Be stellar in your interviews.

Besides GMAT: Most B-Schools emphasize on selecting genuine and sincere students. Give out convincing reasons for your low GPA scores. Highlight your achievements in your essays and interviews. Give them your best shot. Last but definitely not the least, try fetch a good GMAT score.

Good Luck!
Sagar
JK Masters & Career
MBA Admission Consulting for International Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by campbellronald7 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:56 am
Given the amount of your work experience, have you thought about taking an executive education course? I was in a similar position, and this path worked out very well for me. Good luck!

by bouvetphilippe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:33 am
Hi Kevin,

Reading your description, it looks like you have an interesting profile / background. I also had an unconventional profile and had the same worries, but have hired consulting help and have found it to be tremendously helpful. I am Spanish and got accepted to IESE / IE, the two best MBA schools in Spain.

From my experience, you shouldn't worry about the GMAT too much. As I'm sure you're read before, it's about whether your application in itself makes sense / follows a certain trajectory that is in line with your target school. To answer your question in short, in my view, yes, you have a good enough profile (decent GPA, multiple promotions at work, interesting career path, genuine reasons to want to do an MBA).

Good luck for the future!
PS: the consultants I use were from mbaconnected.com. They are usually current grads so very helpful / know a lot about what you're going through.