Realistic number of applications one can prepare

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730
I have recently completed GMAT and looking forward to apply to schools this fall to start in fall 2012.

Right now, I am preparing for TOEFL and will sit for the test next Saturday. The next step would be visiting schools to come up with a list of schools I would like to apply.

The question I have is, how many applications are manageable. That is, the realistic number of schools I can apply. The reason I am asking this is, based on what is possible, I can evaluate the schools. I don't want to come up a list of 8 schools and mess up everything.
What I feel is 2 for R1 and 2 for R2 (prepare the applications and if didn't get in then submit).

I understand this is very specific to the profile and personal preferences. But the answer I am expecting from you guys is, what you feel based on your experiences.

I really appreciate your help. My profile
GMAT : 730
Work Ex : 6 years by the time I apply (with project lead roles)
Nationality : Indian

The schools I am targeting are in the top 15 US schools list. And I work full time.

Thanks in advance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Mon May 09, 2011 7:45 pm
Obviously the answer is going to depend on how much time you have, how much money you want to spend and how quickly you work. In general, I see most clients applying to from four to seven schools. Expect to spend 2-3 months at least getting the first couple of applications together. Subsequent applications will take less time as you refine your stories.

Congratulations on deciding to visit the schools before you apply. "Feel" can be very important. You are going to be working incredibly hard for two years and it helps if you love the school and your classmates.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by paulsbodine » Tue May 10, 2011 10:18 am
gtvisa2002,

In my experience 2 applications in round 1 and 2 in round 2 would not give you sufficient 'volume' or coverage to maximize your odds of admission, especially if you are aiming high. You will find that after you have completed applications for 2-3 schools, you can do a lot of re-purposing of your core stories/essays for subsequent schools (with exceptions of course for odd essay topics). So if you were to get started in, say, August, when most of the applications are out you might find you are in a good position to apply to, say, 3-4 schools by the October deadline. Of course, you know best what your schedule will allow.

Good luck,
Paul Bodine
Author, "Great Applications for Business School," "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance," "Perfect Phrases for Letters of Recommendation"
https://www.paulsbodine.com/
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959

by gtvisa2002 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:27 pm
Thank you both for your inputs.

@Tani,

I have blocked out all other activties to complete the applications. Mostly I wouldn't have to spend much time any of the other things except work. I am not concerned about money either.

As you have suggested I will start with 3 for R1, for R2 I would be in a better position to apply to more schools if needed as I would have got the overall hang of the process.

@paulsbodine,
The only thing I was conerned about was, preparing an unmanagable number of applications. But I hear what you are saying.
Yes, I am looking at the top programs and would be better if I have choices.

As I mentioned above, I think I will plan 3 or 4 for R1.

Thanks again.

Legendary Member

by Tani » Tue May 10, 2011 2:39 pm
3 or 4 is a great idea if you can block out the time. As I mentioned, the first two will be the most time-consuming as you find your voice and your stories. Do take care, however, when completing subsequent applications that you answer THEIR questions explicitly and don't succumb to the temptation to just lift a "similar" essay from a prior application.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

by gtvisa2002 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:20 pm
Thank you.

I will pay attention to what is asked in the Essays...

Legendary Member

by Tani » Tue May 10, 2011 6:32 pm
Smart move :-)
Good luck
Tani Wolff