Reading comprehension or Quant??

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Reading comprehension or Quant??

by Amadalia » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:13 am
Good day
I have about one month and half before my test date
I just finnished the SC and CR and would like to know if it is better to switch to the quant or handle the RC first
Many thanks in advance!!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:23 am
Well either would be fine depending on what you are going for.

Reading comp does not take too long...but you might want to get started on the Quant.

Are you planning to mix them in or are you going for a "first one and then the other" approach?

I personally would do some Quant to get that going and the do reading comp later as a switch up.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by Amadalia » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:31 am
Thanks David for your prompt reply

First let me explain you how my brain works: I need more time than people to assimilate things + I have to focus on one thing

I'm scared to let the quant till the end and panick!! (I can't work under pressure)
meanwhile I read somewhere that the RC was tough and need a lot of practice (I might be sanctionned heavily because a wrong answer in the RC more than in a SC or CR)

many thanks in advance

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:28 pm
Hi Amadalia,

Have you taken any practice CATs recently? If so, then what were your Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal section? And how did you perform on each of the categories that you mentioned?

There's some logic to the idea that you should mix a bit of Quant and Verbal material into each week of studying. Don't let any type of fear dictate your decisions. The GMAT is a standardized Test, so it's predictable. You can learn exactly what's going to be on it and how to properly deal with the material. Taking the GMAT more than once isn't a problem either, since Business Schools don't care if you retake the Test. Be sure to maintain a positive attitude, work hard and when you get stuck, find the help that you need.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Amadalia » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:14 pm
Thanks Rich for participating to this thread
You are right I should both mix verbal and quant
for the CAT ,I still didn't take any one, I still need to tackle the quant part before , am I wrong?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:43 pm
Hi Amadalia,

Yes, you absolutely should take a full-length practice CAT as soon as possible. You need to know what your current skill level is, as well as your general strengths and weaknesses. You also need to learn about how you handle the stress of the clock and if you have a pacing problem (most people do have such a problem on their first few practice CATs).

You'll encounter questions that you don't know how to handle and others that take you too long, but it's important to start to learn about those aspects of your test-taking ability early on, so that you can factor them into your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]