Reading Comp question-Inference

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Reading Comp question-Inference

by sme0928 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:15 pm
Hi Everyone,
I was hoping you can help me with my inference Strategy.

When a question asks "what can be inferred from the passage" my initial approach is to read each question choice then scan the paragragh. This seems too time consuming.

Does anyone have a strategy that works for them that they can share with me?

Thanks

-Steve

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ken3233 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:52 am
Do you read the paragraph before reviewing the question and answer choices? From the way your message reads, it's not clear that you are reading the paragraph first.

The key to tackling the reading comp questions is to first read the paragraph quickly and intensively. Rapidly cut through the reading sample so that your mind has as strong and clear an idea as possible regarding the passage's point. Don't get bogged down as you read, but at the same time, don't sacrifice comprehension for the sake of speed. Try to find a good balance between mental/reading speed and clarity and depth of comprehension.

Then, once you've finished the paragraph, focus on the question. From there, eliminate those question answers that are tangential to what the question is addressing. Then, you should be left with two or three answers that are potentially correct. From here, I rely on my intuition to select the best answer.

The key to success here is the clarity and depth of your comprehension as you are reading the passage. If you succeed at this step, then picking the right answer tends to take care of itself.

I wish I could tell you more, but I can't.