Re-Taking the GMAT - How Many Times is Too Many?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730
Hi,

I need your opinion on whether I should re-take the GMAT?

I took the GMAT for the 3rd time yesterday and was quite disappointed...

GMAT 1st Attempt (June 26th, 2010) - 650 (Q42, V37)
GMAT 2nd Attempt (Sept 25th, 2010) - 590 (Q39, V33)
GMAT 3rd Attempt (March 26th, 2011) - 600 (Q39, V33)

I started studying for the GMAT around a year ago and got a decent score with my 1st attempt at the exam.

I did not feel 100% during my 2nd and last attempt of the exam - I was sleep-deprived and extremely distracted from having to work on a work project all weekend and leading upto to the exam. And, during my last attempt, I did not feel well and had a very bad headache during the test that wouldn't go away. I had expected to at least exceed 650 during my latest attempt my practice results were consistently above it.

I am trying to decide whether I should take the exam one last time as I believe the conditions I took the exam during my last 2 attempts did not give me a good opportunity to perform. However, how would the Top 25 Business Schools view that?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:13 pm
You should firstly see what the average GMAT scores at your target schools are like ? If you're targetting the top 30, then it will obviously help if you have 650+. The schools generally do not view 3-4 negatively if you have made substantial progress on the last attempt as it proves that you had the ability to get a good score ,however for some reason or the other, you were not able to give your best on your previous attempts. So take the GMAT only if you feel that you can do substantially well on the next attempts and that you'll not face the issues that you faced on your previous attempts. By the way, here's a story which you may find inspirational.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/3-yrs-4-atte ... 72531.html

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:30 pm
Well. I think one last time is ok provided it works for you.

If you write 4-5 times and show no improvement, it demonstrates lack of planning. I mean that is the view that will be taken by the AdCom. if you go for another take and can justify it with a good improvement.

Also, what are your other credentials. Schools look at applications holistically. So, your profile is also an important factor in deciding whether 650 is enough.

The important issue with multiple takes is that if you take again and score 590 or 610, then the 650 starts looking like an aberration. But if you can improve your score, go ahead by all means for one last try.

That story shared by Rishi is truly inspirational.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by michaelfaulkner » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:11 pm
I took the GMAT 5 times, never breaking the 90th percentile (scoring 680-690) until my last attempt when I got a 760.

Your concern has been a big one for me as well. But after doing much research and talking to several adcoms, I've concluded that for most schools it really doesn't matter how many times you take the exam as long as you show a marked improvement over time.

For me it was definitely worth while to take the exam that many times. I feel like I already have a strong profile but that the 760 will open many more doors for me than a 700 would have.

Where are you trying to go to school though? If a 650 is near the mean I would say forget about taking it again. But if you're looking at a top 10 school where you'll need a 700+, it might be in your best interest to take it again. But for the next attempt, take a serious look at your study methods. I completely revamped my study method for my last attempt and I attribute that to my success.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by nehs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 am
Michaelfaulkner,
you took the test 5 times? This is a BIG insoiration for people like me who have successfully bombed their test 2 times :-D. I had almost given up on my GMAT journey , now I'm going to take up the battle again!

mimi,

in your case , I think a retake depends on what schools you are targetting. If the average at those schools is 670-680, then retaking may be a waste of money and time. Instead spend time and/or money in applications. However, if the average GMAT score required for your target schools is 700 or higher, then re-work on your GMAT strategy and take the test.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by farrahkhan83 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:11 pm
I say, as many times as needed to get to where you want to be.

That said, find out what it takes to be where you want to be. You may not need to shoot higher than 650. As we've learned on the GMAT, you don't actually need to know the exact final answer, just how to solve the problem. If your 650 score gets you to where you want to be, why do more?