Re-apply and other questions

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re-apply and other questions

by cloodle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:04 pm
I am a 25 year old female with 4 years of work experience as operations director of a small service company with massive experience with all aspects of running a business and some major marketing and operations achievements under my belt. I have a BA from UCSD (communications) with a 3.6 GPA. I have multi cultural background and speak several languages.

I have taken the GMAT twice - 630 and 660
GMAT: 660 (83%) Q:45 V:36 AWA:6
I also tried to apply to Kellogg, Stanford, Berkeley and was denied in the 2nd round last year.

My long term goal would be owning a small business either developing a specific product or consulting to other small businesses on business operations and marketing. Alternatively I consider continued education and a career as a business or life coach.
I want to get an MBA to acquire tools and the theoretical background on business subjects that I already have hands on experience with. I believe that would help me to correctly evaluate and direct business opportunities later in life.

I have evaluated the MSLOC program in Northwestern and while I am very excited about organizational behavior and how it's connected to entrepreneurship - I feel an MBA would be better preparation for my future.

I have two main questions.
1. Is it worthwhile to re-apply to the programs I have already tried last year? Are my chances increased from last year?
During the year that passed I have gained a deeper understanding of different aspects of the business I run and feel better prepared personally for a rigorous program, but nothing else substantial has changed from last year about my application.

2. Could you help me identify schools that would be a good match for my abilities and goals in the mid-low range?
Ideally I would like to stay in California or move to Chicago.

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 pm
Hi Cloodle,

Thanks for your post. Please see my comments below:

I have two main questions.
1. Is it worthwhile to re-apply to the programs I have already tried last year?

In general most bschools look favorably upon reapplicants. One area that you may be able to improve upon in your applications is your post MBA goals. It's best to select one career path and not have an alternative. You should be specific about the type of business you wish to start as well as the specific role you will have in building the organization. You should also be able to clearly speak to the long term vision of your entrepreneurial goal.

Are my chances increased from last year?

While I can't specifically state that your chances of admissions are increased, I can state that most schools look quite favorably upon reapplicants especially those who were able to be introspective and demonstrate growth or improvements in areas previously lacking.

During the year that passed I have gained a deeper understanding of different aspects of the business I run and feel better prepared personally for a rigorous program, but nothing else substantial has changed from last year about my application.

It seems to me that perhaps your goals could have been an issue in your previous application. Please refer to my comments above.

2. Could you help me identify schools that would be a good match for my abilities and goals in the mid-low range?
Ideally I would like to stay in California or move to Chicago.

Given your narrow geographic scope you should look at UCLA, USC, Haas, and Kellogg.

If you'd like a detailed and free assessment, please send your resume to [email protected].

Best,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.