Re-apply and other questions

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re-apply and other questions

by cloodle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:03 pm
I am a 25 year old female with 4 years of work experience as operations director of a small service company with massive experience with all aspects of running a business and some major marketing and operations achievements under my belt. I have a BA from UCSD (communications) with a 3.6 GPA. I have multi cultural background and speak several languages.

I have taken the GMAT twice - 630 and 660
GMAT: 660 (83%) Q:45 V:36 AWA:6
I also tried to apply to Kellogg, Stanford, Berkeley and was denied in the 2nd round last year.

My long term goal would be owning a small business either developing a specific product or consulting to other small businesses on business operations and marketing. Alternatively I consider continued education and a career as a business or life coach.
I want to get an MBA to acquire tools and the theoretical background on business subjects that I already have hands on experience with. I believe that would help me to correctly evaluate and direct business opportunities later in life.

I have evaluated the MSLOC program in Northwestern and while I am very excited about organizational behavior and how it's connected to entrepreneurship - I feel an MBA would be better preparation for my future.

I have two main questions.
1. Is it worthwhile to re-apply to the programs I have already tried last year? Are my chances increased from last year?
During the year that passed I have gained a deeper understanding of different aspects of the business I run and feel better prepared personally for a rigorous program, but nothing else substantial has changed from last year about my application.

2. Could you help me identify schools that would be a good match for my abilities and goals in the mid-low range?
Ideally I would like to stay in California or move to Chicago.

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:51 am
Hi and thanks for your question.

My sense is that Stanford, Berkeley, and Northwestern may be a bit of a stretch. Your work experience is terrific but the GMAT is a bit low and the GPA and the major are both not quite what I think those programs are looking for.

I don't really see much improvement from one year to the next. There are some core issues (i.e., the GPA and the GMAT) that are not going to be significantly improved with one more year of work experience. I respect and salute your giving it another go at those programs but they don't really look like realistic possibilities to me.

In terms of other programs, you might want to think about USC and UI-Chicago. The thing is, I just don't really know non-top tier programs in those areas.
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html