RC - a big problem, need last minute suggestions

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
Guys..

My RC score is still not stable and varies in the range of 70-75%. Sometimes, I am scoring in 90s and sometimes in low 60s.
Such fluctuations greatly swing my score on either side of 700. (650-720 on MGMAT CATs). In SC and CR, I have 90+ hit ratio so that's not a problem anymore as far as I see it..Quant is ok.

I have my test in 10 days so would to hear from fellow test-takers for any last minute tips..

Thanks.
I am on a break !!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by RumpelThickSkin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 pm
Hi Sumanr84,

Could you share with us the strategy you are following first i.e. notetaking, intutive apporach etc. then I think the forum members will be able to help you better. You are probably not going to be to able change your entire strategy FOR RCs in less than 10 days.

BTW, What is your opinion on MGMAT tests versus GMAT prep especially the scoring? Sorry to digress from the topic but I am interested to know what you think on the scoring and questions on MGMAT tests.

Best of luck with the prep and ofcourse the actual test,

RTS ...

Legendary Member

by sumanr84 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:02 pm
First answer to your question,
I feel MGMAT tests are the best one available out of all other TestPrep companies in the market. However, one big dent is that MGMAT CATs do not base their scoring on experimental questions. MGMAT does not have any experimental question concept and they rank your test based on entire test performance. For mocks, I feel that does not matter though. I will give them points on the quality of question, distinguishing 600-700-800 level questions , better analysis of your test figures(per Q/mins) in the form of cumulative report summary.

I took Kaplan Premium Live Online too. I will rank them 2nd after MGMAT. I found Kaplan Quant little easier than GMATPrep, however, I would recommend Kaplan Cats. Verbal Qs are good but answer explanation is not proper. Anyway, explanations could be checked over forums.

Now coming to my problem,
I don't skim but rather read through complete passage. It does not take much time (3-4 max) for me. The problem I face is that I am not able to go back to the passage and sometimes answer the question entirely based on memory. This is 50-50 case. I think going back and referring consumes more time so I just mark the answer. Sometimes, when I go back I have noticed that even after reading 2-3 lines above/below I am not able to find the answer. You can say that I follow mixed intuitive approach. I never take notes as I feel thats time buster.
I am on a break !!

by indiantiger » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:34 am
I personally use the strategy of writing short-hand type notes for each paragraph.

For example :

P1 (first paragraph):
-write down all the keywords
-just for the first paragraph add one line summary, this would help you in answering the main point questions.

P2(second paragraph)
-write keywords.
-any change of tone or twist in the passage.

P3(if its the last passage, summary paragraph)
- write down keywords.
-summary points.

Although this strategy takes 30-40 seconds more than in memory answering but for me this strategy has helped to get consistently 85-95% RC questions right.

I hope this helps.
"Single Malt is better than Blended"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by gtvisa2002 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:30 am
sumanr84 wrote: Now coming to my problem,
I don't skim but rather read through complete passage. It does not take much time (3-4 max) for me. The problem I face is that I am not able to go back to the passage and sometimes answer the question entirely based on memory. This is 50-50 case. I think going back and referring consumes more time so I just mark the answer. Sometimes, when I go back I have noticed that even after reading 2-3 lines above/below I am not able to find the answer. You can say that I follow mixed intuitive approach. I never take notes as I feel thats time buster.
I do the same too. Will not take notes, will not go back to the passage. While the latter is not a good approach, for the life of me I wont go back and refer what is in there.

I appeared for the exam second time on Monday and both the times I followed the same idea you did. Unfortunately, I have to tell you, if possible try to read the passge back. But as you only have 10 days, it may hurt you regular strat too.

So if you still want to follow your strat, here's an idea:

I assume, usually you would eliminate at least three options and struggle with the remaining too. Based on your memory check each word in the option. If you are not sure about even a word in an option pick the other one. I know its really hard but without going back to the passage this is the only option. This is the Half right Half wrong is Fully wrong strat.

Wish you good luck and I am bookmarkig this to see what others have to say on this.
HTH.

by RumpelThickSkin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 am
I think you actually have a pretty good approach but answering questions without going back to the passage can be tricky (will surely save heaps of time, MIGHT not work in getting all the questions on passage right IMO). Especially on the find the detail type questions. The RC GMAT section is akin to an open book exam - why not take advantage of that I.E. go back to passage.

Here are some things that have worked for me -

Skimming somehow has always worked me on the OG perhaps on the Manhattan and passages from other companies. The connectors (however, although, additionally etc.) . are a great way to recognize which way the passage is flowing. Easy to recognize the skeletal structure this way.

Examples etc. you can even skip (or read quickly to get an idea what is going on). Then get back to it when you get the specific question. This way you have not spent time on stuff that you do not need to answer the questions especially on long boring passages.

Always try and understand the first few lines of the passages well, if you are not sure. Take 10-30 seconds and paraphrase in your mind or even out loud.

BTW which question type is going to the most problem? Is the find the detail type questions - 'coz that problem you can really get rid off by going back the passage.

Lastly, it is great that you are getting 90% of CR & SC correct, speed that up and spend more time on RCs.

Legendary Member

by sumanr84 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:10 pm
Some really wonderful tips I came across in past few days.

I would like to thank RumpelThickSkin, gtvisa2002, indiantiger and all others who sent PMs.

Let c how much I am able to pull off my score using feasible options suggested by you all in such a small time. I will try not to make consecutive mistakes in RC questions.
I am on a break !!

Legendary Member

by sumanr84 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:26 pm
RumpelThickSkin wrote: BTW which question type is going to the most problem? Is the find the detail type questions - 'coz that problem you can really get rid off by going back the passage.
Though I have not observed pattern in detail regarding my wrong-zone area , but 'YES' I should do as you have recommended at least for detail type question.
I am on a break !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:45 am
One thing from my experience: Whatever approach you plan , decide on this early on and work on it. Whatever results it produces , go with it. During last few days changing the strtaegy is fatal.