Ratio!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Ratio!

by Shiram » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:35 am
What is the ratio of x to y?

1) 0.8x + 0.5y = 40

2) 0.625y = 50 - x

My answer is C, but I'm not sure! Could any of you, guys, explain this question to me?

Thanks! :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:45 am
x/y ?

1. 0.8x+0.5y=40

not suff

2.0.625y=50-x

not suff

combine 1 n 2 solve for get x an y ratio hence C
A SMALL TOWN GUY

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

by sanju09 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:02 pm
Shiram wrote:What is the ratio of x to y?

1) 0.8x + 0.5y = 40

2) 0.625y = 50 - x

My answer is C, but I'm not sure! Could any of you, guys, explain this question to me?

[1] From a linear equation in two variables of the kind a x + b y + c = 0, the ratio in x and y can be answered only if c = 0, in here c ≠ 0, insufficient

[2] From a linear equation in two variables of the kind p x + q y + r = 0, the ratio in x and y can be answered only if r = 0, in here r ≠ 0, insufficient

Combined, we get a system of linear equations in two variables, which can be solved out for unique x and y values.

[spoiler]C[/spoiler]
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:37 am
Shiram wrote:What is the ratio of x to y?

1) 0.8x + 0.5y = 40

2) 0.625y = 50 - x

I guess everyone has chosen C so far, but the answer here is E. If we look at the two equations, rewriting the second so that our x's and y's are lined up:

0.8x + 0.5y = 40
x + 0.625y = 50

then the second equation is just 5/4 times the first equation. That is, the second equation is an exact multiple of the first, so we do not have two unique equations here; we really only have one equation, and since that equation does not give us the ratio of x to y, the answer is E.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:01 pm
Great stuff, Ian - and a really good question. I'd just add that one of my favorite things about Data Sufficiency is that it's a logic game...almost a chess match between you and the author of the question. Based on that, I'm always pretty leery of bait like:

Two variables.

Statement 1 gives one equation.

Statement 2 gives another equation.

With a setup like this, they're trying hard to get you to just take C and move on. But if "both statements together" seems too straightforward, there's an excellent chance that it is, so you should check for:

-Does each statement actually provide NEW value? Or are they, like in this case, just different ways of saying the same thing?

-Does either statement involve a quadratic or any other twist that makes it non-linear, and therefore it would require a third statement to actually solve the question?

-Is there additional information embedded in the question stem or even just the logic of the question that would allow you to solve the question with only one of the statements? For example, if you're dealing with a situation that requires integers or positive numbers ("how many people..."), that may allow you to solve for two variables with just one equation.

Beware the "Easy C",as this problem definitely demonstrates.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

by sanju09 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:42 pm
Extremely regretful for taking a decision in such a slapdash fashion in spite of already meeting with so many annoying surprises on DS. Thanks Ian
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com