Rate of Chemical Reaction

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Rate of Chemical Reaction

by vrn2vw » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:22 pm
The rate of a certain chemical reaction is directly proportional to the square of the concentration of chemical A present and inversely proportional to the concentration of chemical B present. If the concentration of chemical B is increased by 100 percent, which of the following is closest to the percent change in teh concentration of chemical A required to keep the reaction rate unchanged?

A) 100% decrease
B) 50% decrease
C) 40% decrease
D) 40% increase
E) 50% increase

Would someone mind explaining how they solved this problem? OA is D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:25 pm
The rate of a certain chemical reaction is directly proportional to the square of the concentration of chemical A present and inversely proportional to the concentration of chemical B present. If the concentration of chemical B is increased by 100 percent, which of the following is closest to the precent change in the concentration of chemical A required to keep the reaction rate unchanged?
A) 100% decrease
B) 50% decrease
C) 40% decrease
D) 40% increase
E) 50% increase

OA is D
x is directly proportional to y, translated into math:
x = ky, where k is a constant.
x is inversely proportional to z, translated into math:
x = k/z, where is k is a constant.
x is directly proportional to y and inversely proportional to z, translated into math:
x = k(y/z), where k is a constant.

In the problem above, the rate is directly proportional to the square of A and inversely proportional to B.
Thus:
R = k(A²/B).

Original values:
Let:
A = 10
B = 1
k = 1.
Then:
R = (1)(10²/1)
R = 100.

New values:
Since the rate doesn't change, R = 100.
B increased by 100% = 2.
k = 1. (Since k is a constant.)
Solving for A, we get:
100 = (1)(A²/2)
A² = 200
A = √200 = √100 * √2 = 10√2 ≈ 10(1.4) = 14.

Percent increase in A:
(increase in A)/(original A) = (14-10)/10 = 4/10 = 40%.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 am
vrn2vw wrote:The rate of a certain chemical reaction is directly proportional to the square of the concentration of chemical A present and inversely proportional to the concentration of chemical B present. If the concentration of chemical B is increased by 100 percent, which of the following is closest to the percent change in teh concentration of chemical A required to keep the reaction rate unchanged?

A) 100% decrease
B) 50% decrease
C) 40% decrease
D) 40% increase
E) 50% increase

Would someone mind explaining how they solved this problem? OA is D
We can let n = the rate of a certain chemical reaction, a = the concentration of chemical A, and b = the concentration of chemical B. We are given that the rate of a certain chemical reaction is directly proportional to the square of the concentration of chemical A present and inversely proportional to the concentration of chemical B present, so, for some positive constant k, we have:

n = ka^2/b

When b is increased by 100 percent, b becomes 2b. To keep the reaction rate unchanged, we can let a become c, so we have:

ka^2/b = kc^2/(2b)

2bka^2 = bkc^2

2a^2 = c^2

c = √(2a^2)

c = a√2

Since √2 ≈ 1.4, c ≈ 1.4a or approximately 140% of a, i.e., a 40% increase in the concentration of chemical A.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage