Racing for high GMAT score

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

Racing for high GMAT score

by Night reader » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:42 pm
I am set for GMAT exam by November 20th. My quantitative score in GMAT prep was 42, verbal score was 20. In quantitative I made 17 mistakes by running out of time after question 24 - guessed 13 questions (all were wrong). Verbal was the same with 17 mistakes - three consecutive mistakes in questions 5,6,7 - two RC questions followed by one CR question had downwarded my verbal score. My question is - will I be able to score at least 49 in Q and 38-39 in V soon? I am completing OG11 PS, DS and SC now. For CR and RC I am using Power score CR Bible. Also, I wish to try the BTG's 198 questions from series of 700+. Shall I do it? My plan through g-day is to sit for various CATs and to get as much practice under time controls as possible for me to go into exam's strict time rhythm. Please advise will my plan be realistic? Do I have to supplement other tools in my preparation? If I don't score 700s consistently with the GMAT prep by g-day I won't go for test - I have not registered the exam's date yet.
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rajeshsources » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 pm
Hello Night reader,
I am set for GMAT exam by November 20th. My quantitative score in GMAT prep was 42, verbal score was 20. In quantitative I made 17 mistakes by running out of time after question 24 - guessed 13 questions (all were wrong). Verbal was the same with 17 mistakes - three consecutive mistakes in questions 5,6,7 - two RC questions followed by one CR question had downwarded my verbal score. My question is - will I be able to score at least 49 in Q and 38-39 in V soon? I am completing OG11 PS, DS and SC now. For CR and RC I am using Power score CR Bible. Also, I wish to try the BTG's 198 questions from series of 700+. Shall I do it? My plan through g-day is to sit for various CATs and to get as much practice under time controls as possible for me to go into exam's strict time rhythm. Please advise will my plan be realistic? Do I have to supplement other tools in my preparation? If I don't score 700s consistently with the GMAT prep by g-day I won't go for test - I have not registered the exam's date yet.
After I read the brief of your preparation, I'd like to suggest you concentrate more on Verbal rather Quant. Just act more on Verbal, but do not leave Quant. Now, you're left out with 30days exactly to beat GMAT.

My suggestions:

1. You should prepare yourself comfortable towards the exam. For that, you should have as many CATs as you could. Do not just lay down and take the test. Before the test take 2-3 days for the preparation on the black spots of your score. I mean go through the weaknesses of your previous CAT scores. And after test, go through each and every problem even though you've answered correctly. That helps a lot.

2. At times, you might be wondering for the answer of this question: "When will I come to know that I'm ready to beat GMAT?"
There will be a sign which shows that you will definitely beat the GMAT with score as much as you wished. The sign is nothing but the scores of your previous CATs which you had taken. The scores of your CAT tests should be consistent to 700+, if you wish to have your score 700+ in the original GMAT. That is the sign which tells you about the readiness.

3. BTG's 198 questions from series of 700+: This will definitely add some strength/value to your skills. But try all the possible methods to solve one problem. Have a blast of this awesome forum. Ask others how can we try this problem in another possible & effective method. We've so many experts here in BTG community. You can post topics and get reply from lot of ppl around the world. Share it.

The strength of your skills measured on how much you shared.

Till last 2 weeks, you should do all the above things I mentioned.

In the last 2 weeks

For this, Brent, from Kaplan, has posted an awesome article on BTG site. Go through that and plan accordingly.
Here you go: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/10/ ... e-the-gmat

Hope that helps,

I wish you all the best,

Rajesh