Questions on my profile..part-time program

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Questions on my profile..part-time program

by tnis0612 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:45 am
I am a 24 year old Business Finance major from a decent smaller school in Virginia. 3.0 gpa overall and 3.4 gpa in the business school (I did much better my last 2 years than my first 2)

I work in Richmond, VA and am trying to go to University of Richmond part time. My 2 real options for part time programs are Richmond and VCU and Richmond is the much tougher and in my opinion better choice.

I work at a Fortune 200 company, the largest company in Richmond in a Treasury department as an analyst. Univ. Richmond is fairly involved with my company and it is very highly thought of by them.

In college I was a member of the student advisory board for the business school and was an all conference tennis player for 4 years.

Richmond requires 2 years of work experience and I will have pretty much exactly 2 when I were to start in Fall 2009. I started as an associate analyst and was promoted to "analyst" level.

I got a 550 on the GMAT the first time. I know I wont get in with that GMAT as their average is 620, GPA of 3.3 and 7 years work experience. I will only apply if when I retake the GMAT I can get in the 650 range.

The only require resume, GMAT, and transcripts to apply. No essay.

My question is...I can get letters of recommendations from 5 possible people. My boss who is a Director. Her boss who is the VP of corporate finance, his boss who is the Senior VP and treasurer, the CFO who could very possibly have some ties at the school (he went to Wharton, though), or the CIO who went to Richmond and serves on their Board. The first two are the only ones who work with me on a daily basis. I know the rest will speak highly of me but I don't know what exactly they will say.

Who should I go with?
Do you think with this profile I have a shot at getting in?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:19 am
Dear tnis0612,

I think you have a shot if you can get your GMAT above the average and present a solid rationale for why you want your MBA now versus waiting another couple of years. In terms of your recommenders, it is always best to go with the folks you work the most with and selecting a current/former supervisor. Since the CIO is an alumnus, you might ask him to send a letter or email on your behalf to the admissions director supporting your candidacy (assuming you know each other well enough).

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me