Questions about GPA section of application

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:750
There are 2 sections on the applications I'm looking at, first you list your undergraduate institutions, then you list your (calculated) GPA.

This is slightly upsetting, as I recieved a 3.01 GPA from my undergraduate institution, but I received a C+ from a community college course the summer after my freshman year, and if my calculations are correct, that brings me down to a 2.99 (d'oh!). What do I put in this space, 2.99 or 3.01 (I'm guessing the former)?

Second question, I've compiled an alternative transcript from a community college over the past 2 semesters, taken 3 classes with and gotten all A's for a 4.0. Now, there is no place to put this GPA, can I add it in with the calculation (bringing myself back over a 3.0?), or do I just list the instutition with no GPA on the application?

Thanks for the help.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tmino » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:14 am
I would just report the final GPA you received from your undergraduate institution. If for some odd reason you didn't receive a final GPA (which would be very weird) then check whether that course you took over the summer was just transfered as credit, or if the grade was transfered as well. That will prob determine which GPA to use.

As for the alternative transcript, you can probably not use it to bring your undergrad GPA up. If you can't list it on the application form, mention it on your CV or the optional essay where you address weaknesses (e.g. your low GPA).

Good luck!
MBAvolunteers - Application feedback in exchange for a donation to a non-profit
MBA Admission Requirements - All you need to know about getting into b-school

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by Don Wrigley » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:18 pm
tmino wrote:I would just report the final GPA you received from your undergraduate institution. If for some odd reason you didn't receive a final GPA (which would be very weird) then check whether that course you took over the summer was just transfered as credit, or if the grade was transfered as well. That will prob determine which GPA to use.

As for the alternative transcript, you can probably not use it to bring your undergrad GPA up. If you can't list it on the application form, mention it on your CV or the optional essay where you address weaknesses (e.g. your low GPA).

Good luck!
I do have the final GPA from my undergrad institution, it does not include the grade from the summer course, only credit (the 3.01). I will just report the 3.01 and have all transcripts sent over (including summer course, alternative transcript). Thanks for the input!